Midi feedback loop or bug?

okay I just tried with 1.01 and I got a learn mode midi stuck notes! I pressed 2nd and Live to see the midi messages and they looked fine. Left that screen and now it’s not stuck. To me, definitely a bug, not sure how to replicate yet.

report it via the contact form

it’s odd that the midi monitor screen cleared the issue…something to mention to squarp.

as I said previously, I use a master keyboard all the time, and as yet, not seen a stuck note… (v1.00… obviously 1.01 is new, so limited time on that)
also, no one else, is commenting on this issue with similar issues (*) …as far as i can see.
so, as frustrating as it is, I think its something in your setup and/or a way your using the Hapax compare to others (but for your posts, I cannot see what that is)

unfortunately, Ive think, Ive given all the ways I would go about trying to track down the issue…
and can’t think of anything I can try, unless you can provide me with a reliable reproducible scenario and project file.

(*) of course, Im sure there are cases like @Maarten, where muting something (or switching things like an fx) will ‘forget’ to send a note off… and those need reporting, and will get fixed.
… though, those cases, Im sure you’d be aware of, as you know your last action causes the issue.

Ok yes I reported it and the dev said they had the issue as well one time but can’t reproduce yet. So if anyone else can help replicate this please let the dev know!

yeah, unfortunately thats the thing about bug fixing…
it’s very hard to fix a bug unless you can reliably reproduce it… as even if you find a code issue, you still cannot prove that, that issue was responsible for the reported bug… as you cannot test it.

also bare in mind,
if devs (and others here) have only seen it one time, and you see it regularly … there is a very strong possibility that your issue and theirs are unrelated.
as there are a ton of things that can cause note hangs… all with widely different causes.

if I were you, Id be trying to change your controller, and setup to see what ‘variables’ cause the issue, and what do not…

as mentioned earlier, it doesn’t look like others (including myself) are seeing this issue.
you can be sure if others were experiencing a lot of hanging notes, they’d be reporting them here regularly as its really annoying… so the lack of these reports, suggests its not an issue for most.

sorry, I know this not what you want to hear… hell, Id be frustrated, if it was happening to me…
so, honestly, relying on others to replicate your issue, is unlikely to bring much reward.
I fear, you’re you just waiting for the bug to get fixed as a ‘side effect’ of something else, and who knows how long that could be … a few weeks, or months… its completely random :frowning:

btw: I assume you are not using a sustain pedal?

What’s the minimum setup where you see the problem? For example, does it occur when you have just the SL MK3 keyboard connected to Hapax with a single DIN MIDI cable (SL MK3 MIDI out → Hapax MIDI in) and no other connected devices / pedals / controls?

Yeah keyboard in to Hapax. It barely ever happens anymore but just at this point just waiting to see if I can replicate it. Thanks guys

Hello,
I’m going to be jumping in here and see how the stuck notes issue is going for those who posted.
I received my Hapax two days ago!
And my experience so far is dominated with stuck notes and other issues I’ve never had before (significant midi latency).
My setup is PC, RME UCX, mio10, several synths, with the Hydrasynth acting as my main controller. I was playing with a Vector synth, the HS, Hapax, and trying out some vst’s. Different midi channels from Hapax going to the synths on their respective midi channels etc…
I lost control pretty quickly. Hung notes, latencies, Frozen Hapax, it got ugly. I even managed to have a project that when I load, it freezes the system everytime!

So, I’m know to be stubborn and not stop until I get to the bottom of these things. I’ve worked with the Vector devs before on hung notes, so this is not new to the Hapax. But the overall chaos sort of was.
I turned everything off and went to bed. Haven’t touched it today.
I’m actually suspecting something is buggy with the mio10 overall, mixing din midi and USB midi and handling all that data, sequencers, mpe etc…?
I have a USB hub (good quality) plugged to the mio10 for USB midi, Hapax goes in it right after 2 other USB synths (which were off)… I don’t think it likes that.
I’m going to try different things tomorrow, rule some things out before I bother Squarp with a bug report since it’s most likely my setup…
What I’m asking here is for those who use an iconnectivity device and have had issues, how was your Hapax plugged in midi wise?
Many do not have the issues reported above, but I’m seeing a few MiO boxes involved, so I’m trying to see what we can rule out before I decide to replace the Mio.

I am seeing the same problem.

My debugging included:

• Directly connecting the Hapax to the synth (Access Virus TI2 Desktop) rather than through the MioXM
  • Entering the notes with a different keyboard (Yamaha YC61 rather than Yamaha CP4)
  • Entering the notes from the Hapax in Live mode
  • Playing the notes “live” from all 3 keyboards
  • Turning off all of my instruments other than Hapax and Virus
  • Turning off the BomeBox, just in case I programmed something that adds CC64 on channel 6
  • Changing Input Channel to a MIDI port that isn’t plugged in to anything in case there is a loop
  • Checking all tracks to ensure they only receive and transmit on their respective channels
  • Ensuring MIDI THRU is off for all ports
  • Checking the midi monitor
  • Recording the sequence on a different track

Until I reached the monitor, nothing made any difference.

Here’s what I see on midi monitor:

As you see, there are 2 CC64 (sustain) messages added. I did not at any time press a sustain pedal, so these are spurious and appear to be added by Hapax.

This did not happen when I recorded the sequence on other tracks (but still on MIDI channel 6).

The problem only seems to happen on track 6!

This appears to be a bug @Thibault_Squarp.

I reported this as a bug just now.

I got my hapax a couple of weeks ago but only started playing with it today.

Out of the box and experiencing similar issues. I have the midi out going to a midi hub and routing notes to a number of my synths. After a couple of loops (either playing in live / hold arp mode, or just sequencing steps) the synth will either permanently sustain a random note in the sequence or add +1 octave step. Nothing showing in the midi-out screen. I can only fix it if I midi panic on my synth or stop the entire project entirely.

Updated to latest firmware and still the same issue within 2-3 minutes of playing.

Very disappointed about this. At its current state it cannot be used for live performance at all.

Are all the settings->MIDI Thru options set to Off?

I believe the default is that the “Device → MIDI A” option is on by default in the HAPAX, this might bite you (as it did me).

I have no clue why this is set to ‘On’ by default.

Hope this helps you.

I checked, it may have been fixed in an update because all midi thru is set to off by default.
Tonight I tried to connect my Erae touch just with a midi trs cable and try MPE…and it freezes the Hapax in secondes! Just pressing one note or two. I’ll try different cables tomorrow and file a bug report on that part for a start as it simply shouldn’t freeze.

Quick update: When connecting the Erae to the Hepax via USB host, no problem, no freezing. But as soon as I go back to midi din, it freezes.
I’m not sure I can post videos…?

With the more recent firmware I did seem to notice some freezes when using MPE controllers, but I hadnt narrowed down the issue enough to file a proper bug report and have been severely lacking time since then. But it did seem a bit to me like something changed in recent firmware that caused an issue that wasnt present in older firmware.

All Midi Thru options were/are set to off. Still get a stuck note (as if sustain set to 100%), or a note will be stuck +1 octave.

Time for a support call, me thinks. :pensive:

Will need to do more testing but the +1 octave issue might be my synth as going directly over USB seems to work (or atleast it hasn’t happened in last ten minutes). Its a Matriarch and I’ve found similar problems reported in other forums with MIDI.

The sustain issue is still happening, quite strange. Will send through another update when I have more time to test tomorrow.

After further testing (Thibault also tried to recreate my version of the problem), I am no longer to duplicate this issue.

As I said to @Thibault_Squarp, my assumption is that most likely, I recorded the CC64 messages. This was early in my use of the Hapax, and I likely didn’t think to check the automation lane.

I hope that all of my fellow Hapaxers find solutions to this!

1 Like