Is there a better sequencer than Pyramid?

@McD How do you not understand people wanting improvement? As a species, we constantly improve everything around us and have throughout all of our history. I am a software engineer and it’s my job to constantly be improving the things I work on. We’re always trying to push the boundaries of our technology. I don’t want to be spoon fed updates and I wasn’t asking for it. I was asking for the software to be open sourced so I can implement the ability to set loop points. Think of it like a mechanic who isn’t allowed to modify their car because there’s a magical shield surrounding it by the company who made the car. I just wanna add a cold air intake and I should be able to do that if I want. If I ruin my car in the process, that’s on me.

2 Likes

Moderator edit: Please keep the tone civil and avoid escalating arguments

Why don’t you go and write your own code from scratch and flash that onto the device? I’m sure you’re free to do that.

Updates are a peculiar thing. I look forward to them as much as the next guy, but often seem to be happier with older devices whose last update was years before I got one. Exactly because then you wont waste time/energy waiting for that elusive update that fixes that one thing you have with it. Everybody always has one.

2 Likes

yea - i mean its fine to want things - but there’s something to be said for working with what’s available as well and not letting a missing feature stop you from making music with the best sequencer ever created (pyramid being that sequencer). “a fine line” i suppose.

For me the only thing that makes me consider replacing the Pyramid for live use is the lack of a song loader, such as using program changes to load the next project. The workarounds aren’t very practical and I already have all my songs built in the Pyramid so it makes sense to take it on the road over another device!
For studio use I can hardly fault it though. It’s very powerful for such a small box. There are many ‘nice to have’ options - some of which seem like they’d be easy to implement (dotted/triplet timing for ARPs, MIDI delays, etc).

I’m wondering if there are other companies in a similar space/with a similar business model that can continue to improve the software for their hardware products without losing money?
A lot of software manufacturers have gone down the subscription route which probably isn’t an option for Squarp, but I’d happily pay to upgrade to a ‘Mk4’ version and for future releases thereafter. £50 or £100 for a lot of new features wouldn’t be unreasonable, and it would provide Squarp with an additional revenue stream.

vhs - what features do you have on the RS7000 that make it favourable over the Pyramid?
I think I saw in the manual that you can draw in your own LFOs which I always thought was cool - similar to the Pyramid’s CC editor. I’ve almost bought one a couple of times, even if it is a bit large and a few years old! (QY700 was also on the shopping list at one point)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.