Is it possible to record a sequence generated from an external source via MIDI onto the Pyramid?

Is it possible to record a sequence generated from an external source via MIDI onto the Pyramid? A simplified overview of my setup is below:

Squarp Pyramid (MIDI A) → Kenton Thru 5 → Dreadbox & Polyend Medusa (MIDI in)
Dreadbox & Polyend Medusa (MIDI out) → Kenton Thru 5 → Squarp Pyramid (MIDI in)

I have a sequence that is programed into the Medusa that I would like to get onto the Pyramid somehow, but not sure if it’s possible. I tried running the sequence on the Medusa while recording in Live mode on the Pyramid, but that does not work. I can trigger the Medusa from the Pyramid, so I’m thinking there’s a setting somewhere on the Pyramid that I am missing to set the recording source?

Has anybody done anything similar? Thanks in advance!

I think the Kenton Thru won’t work for Medusa MIDI out → Pyramid MIDI in. Here you would rather need a MIDI Merge, not a Thru.

You can try to plug Medusa MIDI out → Pyramid MIDI in directly, it should record the sequence in Live mode.

Yeah, you’ll not be able to plug the Dreadbox out into both sides of the Kenton thru, as you’ll end up with a MIDI loop. These are not fun.

You can, however, plug one of the Pyramid outs into the input of the Dreadbox, and then the MIDI out of the Dreadbox into the input of the Pyramid, but make sure you’ve turned off MIDI Echo in the settings.

OK, so I figured it out. My apologies, but I had the signal path listed incorrectly in my initial post and it actually looks like this I incorrectly included the Kenton Thru 5 on Medusa MIDI out):

Squarp Pyramid (MIDI A) → Kenton Thru 5 → Dreadbox & Polyend Medusa (MIDI in)
Dreadbox & Polyend Medusa (MIDI out) → Squarp Pyramid (MIDI in)

After doing some troubleshooting and further digging, it appears that there is some MIDI issue between the Medusa and the Pyramid. Here’s the fix:

Medusa MIDI out → Moog Grandmother MIDI In → Moog Grandmother MIDI Thru → Pyramid MIDI in

Using the Grandmother (or any other device with a MIDI thru interface) should work in this scenario. It’s not ideal, but allowed me to record the sequence that I wanted.

Something that also really helped to troubleshoot the issues was using the MIDI in monitor function (Setting–> Info–> MIDI In Monitor). The Medusa was not sending any MIDI data unil I ran it through my Grandmother. Thank you all for your assistance!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.