How to preview notes as I enter them into step?

that unused row is not ‘fixed’ … it depends on the scale you are using.

it just so happens major/minor scale = 7 intervals, so you get one free … pentatonic has 3… others might have zero…

thats the thing, we have to think of the bigger picture here… quick hacks don’t work :wink:

cool…

I think we are at the beginning of a journey here. this is v1 for something very new for squarp.
Squarp have a reputation for really improving products over time.

let’s give them some space and time (and feedback!)

of course, there will be some users will have that ‘one vital feature’ thats missing because of the workflow they use (and others might not) , so let squarp know, and see if they can do something about it.

3 Likes

I hadn’t even realized this was an ‘issue’. I won’t complain if it’s added, but until/unless it is, I’ll just keep using loop points to help me compose in step mode and be able to hear what I’m composing. :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

You might be, and I agree it would be something that would make a good device better, but that’s not true of everyone in this thread.

Can you explain your workflow? I really appreciate. Just asking for working step sequencer, thanks!!!

Sure. When I’m step composing (typically in a case where I’m doing something like a Berlin School sequence), I’ll pick the root note and scale, and then think about the scale pattern I’m wanting to work with (for example, something like 1/5/1/1/4/2/1/8 or whatever), set that up on the pads, and, then use loop points set to the part I want to focus on and tweak and keep it playing while I try different notes until I dial in something I like.

2 Likes

@thetechnobear , I was testing a bit more the momentary live mode to preview steps and I thought is pretty good but then I realised it only works if there is no scale constraint.

1 Like

I’m also in the same boat regarding wanting a note preview. I honestly thought I was using it incorrectly because I expected it when I took it out of the box last night. It seriously cramps my work flow and I’m likely to set this down for a few weeks and pick my OXI back up. I’ll check back to see if this is added in a FW update. It’s an easy QOL addition so I hope Squarp can show the community they are listening to users.

1 Like

Some more testing, pressing the knob to preview the selected note doesn’t work with global scale on because you can’t select any other note than the root.

indeed… I noticed recently there are a few things in scale mode that appear to have been ‘broken’.

definitely report these to squarp as they are (in my mind) bugs.
(I believe. Ive reported, but Ive reported so many things… it honestly hard to remember ;))

3 Likes

Thank you guys sorry for my frustrations I’m going to try these great tips I did buy this to get something different !

1 Like

As someone who is in the June batch, I’m watching all of this with great interest. Not sure I should bother sending in feature requests when I don’t even have my Hapax yet, but I do think there should be an option to hear notes in step mode when you enter it. I can see if you are composing in real-time for an audience (the thought is terrifying personally, but I know there are folks with lots of talent out there!), then you probably don’t want the notes to sound when you enter them, but having the option to do so seems fairly essential to me.

2 Likes

In general I agree of course with Hapax doesn’t really need very other feature from the rest of the sequencers.

But, in this case I just thought it would be super elegant implementation if the row arrow buttons also fire a note with the pitch corresponding. I would be super useful for the drum track too. (totally inspired on Deluge as seen in videos since I don’t own one).

Obviously it good be optional and it would not remove any of the current operations that the arrow buttons currently do just simply also send a note.

1 Like

Agree Andre great idea! Or 2nd and row

I forgot to mention is not a show stopper for me at all, I can totally work with what there is already.

But I would still love to have this at some point.

Again we have to bare in mind current UI…
row buttons are being used for row selection

I don’t know the deluge, so I don’t know how they get around this. For example using different combos for selection…. Or differentiate between a tap and a hold. ( all of which will have pros/cons).

So sometimes we are not going to be able to use ‘as-is’, other metaphors/gestures could be needed.

To be clear, I don’t mean to sound negative , just saying it’s not always easy to add things in a meaningful way that doesn’t complicate the UI.

Instrument design is hard on these things, compromises have to be made etc … and I think all manufacturers do a great job ( Squarp, deluge, oxi etc)

2 Likes

Squarp replied to my request and said noted and considered could be in the next release? Just saying it’s possible. We will see! In the meantime I will be trying these other methods I am grateful for all of your patience

3 Likes

You do sound like you don’t want to change anything but that’s fine. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Actually is more like proposing something new is like saying the whole concept is bad. I personally love pretty much everything about HAPAX. It looks great, UI, functionality, form factor, IO…

I’m just commenting what I think is a cool idea in the hope they get considered by the squarp team and perhaps other users also comment in here if they like the idea.

As I said , no functionality would change. Just simply also send a note.

I am not really sure why you keep mentioning this after my comments, kind of implying that I’m saying anything negative which Im definelty not doing so.

Again I could not care less about Deluge, I own many grovebox and sequencers and Deluge is not one of them.
I’m only talking about a very simple specific function that shouldn’t change anything else, just also send a note. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

no, I was pointing out the row buttons are used for something else… so how to square that circle?

2nd+row is not used, but given, the way 2nd is used in other selection context is perhaps not ideal.

one possibility is row+main encoder … this kind of works, since the main encoder is already being used for preview…
and as you pointed out already, there needs to be a fix for scale mode, and this the way I thought squarp might get around it.

also this leads to other interesting possibilities…
e.g. step preview, you select a column/range hit main encoder and it plays notes - useful for messing with chords.

BUT … all this rather depends on what plans Squarp already have for ‘shortcuts’ or even requests coming in.

so impossible to judge withoutthat oversight…

but as I said earlier, Squarp’s hear the requests and decide the way they think its best done from ideas proposed, and their own ideas.

Its not about not changing anything… or not… Ive made a ton of suggestions for changes :wink:

but, as a developer, I can tell you one thing…
adding features/hacks is easy, but they are nigh impossible to remove once done (without users screaming like hell) … so you have to do it once, and do it right.

1 Like

Can confirm. Also, one thing I would like to see is half the rows used to display notes and half to display a keyboard. This definitely adds complexity, but could be a really nice way to input notes. Currently, with the Pyramid, I use a Keystep along with the sequencer to similar effect. But again, all this is speculation. I won’t be making any feature requests until I put in some time with the Hapax next week.

BTW, thanks for the rapid responses.

1 Like

Interesting ideas.

I personally would be very happy with any of the 3 options have been commented in here.(I prefer option one :))

1- simply press arrows and the current functionality which is selecting the row would remain exactly the same but it would also play the notes at the same time. Since its a complete parallel process I guess it shouldn’t necessary add any complexity.

2- Second + row arrows.

3- right knob press + arrows.

Totally agree, although exactly same posibilies for any of the 3 options just mentioned.

Off course.

Exactly, that’s why I prefer not to judge but give opinion from the user stand point.

Very cool, so now perhaps the rest of the users we also want to give our 2 cents :wink:

If it’s optional, wouldn’t this be much less likely to happen?