How I got Hapax and Ableton Live into nearly perfect sync with M4L

DAWS and computers in general have a bad reputation partly for this sync reason. so to side step it like this is a brilliant solution. its like avoiding idiots. life is easier when you avoid idiots. it cant be looser than sample accurate. this means that there is very little jitter to the regularity of the tempo. it sounds natural to my ear. but give some people a working solution and they dont want to use it for some reason. oh well.

by the way you can try this with almost any instrument, drum machine, etc you just need to find the right sound to trigger the clock. it can even be used creatively outside of only keeping tempo.

whats more is the device after hapax can be fed with midi clock just fine! its just the computer midi clock that sucks, but regular midi commands seem to work fine. i just avoid sending clock from the computer and use the audio method to clock hapax. audio is absolutely in sync with tempo. jitter from a sample playback engine is small compared to midi i would wager.

hmm maybe i am not fully understanding your message but there is still variable syncing problems that i experience when using cv. like if i record the same part 5 times it will be slightly offset by a few milliseconds. i blame the pc. i think it jitters during clock start which still caused the audio/cv impulse to vary as well.

maybe we agree and iā€™m just having trouble reading your post. i am low on sleep.

how are you using the cv input? with the square wave they provide? are you doing it like the instructions say? what os are you on? whats unusable about how its performing?

im on a beta build that they said they had reduced jitter on. i admit im not hunched over with a microscope trying to find a few ms of jitter. it sounds very synchronized to me. but i use my earsā€¦ go figure

youre right tho, computers are junk and totally unusable for making music. and only absolutely perfect 100% repeatable results will do. :crazy_face:

Hey @solipsvs ~ I got Ableton to sync just fine using the CV Tools but when using the audio file that Squarp provided in the online manual I canā€™t get that audio to warp properly in Ableton (Iā€™ve tried bouncing this file into a new BPM and itā€™s still funky) how are you approaching the audio sync? @Digislot are you using the MIDI ports from your TB interface for sync/clock? Thanks!

You need to warp with the repitch algorithm.

You can probably also just use the multiclock plugin which you can download for free.

1 Like

im taking the first cycle of the square wave and loading it to a stock sample player in reaper, then triggering it at 1/64th note intervals, sending it almost full volume to a dedicated audio output, patching it to cv in 1, setting sync input settings and voila, no discernible jitter. i suppose its possible hapax has jitter but audio output done that way should not. but i only know how it sounds coming from reaper running on a raspberry pi euro module (which i sell) or windows 10 (on other modules i make and sell.). but this should be true of any daw running on anything, even your tele or maybe the microwave oven or the garmin. i could run 25 year old software and get rigid timing with this method

I tried it with your plugin but ableton doesnā€™t seem to receive a clock.
Also tried the cv clock in tool and itā€™s also drifting after a while.
Could someone upload the file from the manual? The link doesnā€™t seem to work anymore.
Thanks!

Btw: I tried everything and found that, using hapax for clock and ableton for start stop works best for me. In that way, you can start the sequence from ableton, when itā€™s commected or directly from the hapax if itā€™s not.

Hi metajon,

Iā€™m revisiting this after some time away from my studio.

I managed to get the device modded like you said, it loads now fine (thanks again for help).

However I still canā€™t get it to sync Ableton.

I see the signal coming in to the device, get it loud enough so it reaches the top and bottom, however when I change tempo on the Hapax Ableton doesnā€™t match?

Also not sure how to make Ableton start the moment it receives the clock signal?

Would be very grateful for any help, Iā€™d love to get this to work!

Many thanks,

Leon

PS could I have deleted the wrong bits? I just deleted the bits that said midi (think it was imp or something)

I donā€™t really have time to support this and I have stopped using Ableton. But can you provide a video where you show your settings and the instant you start the clock?

Your post is the top answer / discussion on the topic of ā€œHapax & Abletonā€ playing nicely togetherā€¦ at least that i found. Iā€™ll be following your breadcrumb to see what else youā€™ve put out there for folks :slight_smile:

Iā€™m going to give this a try over the weekend as Iā€™m in a similar use-case. Love sequencing with the Hapax, hate sequencing in Ableton (which is why I bought the Hapaxā€¦), but I have multi-instrument racks (both virtual and hardware), effects chains, send and returns etc all setup in Ableton for my live rig and canā€™t see myself going full DAWless any time soon.

Iā€™m also on Apple Silicon but have done a bit of Max developing over the years so hopefully Iā€™ll be able to get it up and running. Thanks to @exmachina for putting in the effort!

1 Like