hermodOS 1.10 new firmware

Hi Guys,

We just released hermodOS 1.10, the new Hermod firmware!
Download it now: http://squarp.net/hermodos

New features

● AUTOLOAD: now Hermod loads at startup the last saved or loaded projet (hold STEP at startup to direclty load a new project).
● New parameter GATE RETRIG is added in the effect MIDI. If enable, the track will re-trigger the gate output each time a new note is overlapping an other note, in order to break the glide/legato. In other words, when a new note is sent to the CV output, the GATE output will always be triggered.
● Hard Rec: in STEP mode, hold Y and press REC to enable a “hard rec” recording (= no overdub). Previously recorded notes will be overwritten.
● CV inputs: added parameters in SETTINGS > CLOCK > CV TRANSPORT = CV PLAY A/B/C/D. A continuous high level on a CV input will play Hermod, a low level will stop Hermod and reset the player position (“DIN sync” start/stop standard).
● CV inputs: added parameters in SETTINGS > CLOCK > CV TRANSPORT = CV REC A/B/C/D. A continuous high level on a CV input will enable the recording, a low level will disable the recording.
● Project Menu: NEW PROJECT is added at the end of the list.
● LFO: now, the LFO EFFECT range can be set up to 200% in order to get the maximum output voltage of +/-5V.

Bug fixes

● Fixed a bug making gate output always high (because of a stuck notes), when using some USB controllers (eg the Keystep).
● CV IN sync: fixed a bug making Hermod to start with a latency when SETTINGS > CLOCK > CLOCK SOURCE = CV A/B/C/D.
● LFO FX: unsync problem with some rates (eg 1/8) now fixed.
● DELAY FX: DRY/WET=100% now never play the original note.
● Loop Full: fixed a bug making Hermod to play an other sequence before the end of the FULL loop.
● Fixed a bug making the user interface behaving differently (or making the screen not updating new values) when SETTINGS > CLOCK > SOURCE different from INTERNAL.
● modMatrix: CC11 was missing
● modMatrix: now you can validate a parameter (eg midi:root note) by simply leaving the modmatrix, without clicking the encoder.
● Freeze: Fixed a bug making Hermod to crash when changing sequences (for projects with SETTINGS > CV IN > TRACK X = CV/GATE AB or CD)
● Save As: fixed a bug making Hermod to crash when saving with a long project name.
● New Project: now, every project parameters are reset to initial values after selecting NEW PROJECT.
● Slave mode: fixed a bug making Hermod to play (start) only if songposition was at the very beggining, when slaving Hermod with a DAW.
● Overall stability and timing precision improvements.

For now on, and as a general rule for Hermod and Pyramid, every bug reports & suggestions must be sent here: squarp.net/contact

Have a nice weekend!
The SI team

8 Likes

Great ! :slight_smile:

Very nice that the Keystep problem was solved, and also very happy about the load on startup. Is there a way to set a channel to „Moog mode“ so the 1V/Oct uses -5 to +5 instead of 0 to 10?

@ForAiur
Hermod is already using -5V to +5V voltage for the CV inputs and CV outputs :slight_smile:

But don‘t the non Moog devices use 0-10? I only do music for myself so I don‘t know all the professional stuff that well but most modules use 0-10 and explicitly say that they have a mode for -5 to +5 … i just play my meodies via trial and error so it never occured to me what Hermod was using, just that it was different from my Microbrute and my Morpagene.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Hermod can’t generate >5V voltages, it’s a hardware limitation, sorry. Its fixed range is +/-5V

1 Like

Very interesting! And people didn’t complain because most devices use the other one? Why did I never hear about this? Strange. But good for my Moogs. Will use a +5 volts then on my Microbrute. Now I at least understand why they did different notes on the same key on the keystep. Thanks!

People don’t complain because it is a eurorack module - and in eurorack, whilst there is no standard as such, +/-5 is far more common (and crucially, completely safe with all other modules!) than any other voltage.

Ok, then I must have read some false stuff online. People there in several different forums said that the -5 to +5 volts is an odd thing by MOOG. That’s why there is a special module to just connect your Mother-32 to “normal” 1V/Oct sources:
https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorack-modules/by-series/pico-series/pico-mscale/

Even Erica Synth writes that 0 to 10 is the standard?

I don’t want to spam this thread. Could @squarpadmin please tell me what a C0 or C1 are voltvise and then I can find it out for all of my sound sources so I can find atenuverters to bring everything to the same level.

I see your confusion. That Erica module is a little… hyperbolic, since there is no eurorack standard for control voltage :slight_smile: . The closest we have is the Doepfer standard, which a lot of other companies (but not all) use -

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm

It is worth noting that C0 is not equivalent to a certain voltage - as CV is a relative, not absolute, value. If you need your setup to be 0-10v, what you need is an offset/bias module to shift +/-5 to the correct range. A good way of thinking about it is to consider a pitch wheel. If it can only send 0-10, it will only allow you to bend the pitch upwards (by 10v). What would make more sense would be a pitch wheel that can send +5 to -5, and thus bend the pitch both upwards and downwards.

Ok. The FH-2 by expert sleepers can change each voltage out to either do the -5 to +5 or 0 to 10, so I preordered it and will want to try to use it with the Hermod. It is a lot of money just to make the Hermod do both modes but I hope it will work. Until then I will try an offset (and try to find out which of my synths uses which standard Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Mother-32, Morphagene)

Thnx! Nice to see the same easiness and function back in action! Will test it extensively!
REWIND for autoload and delay fix!!!
These come in really handy!

I am a bit shocked about how little people here seem to understand 0-10V versus -5/+5V. Nobody needs additional modules, there is no “issue” or problem. When playing notes, Hermod outputs CVs from -5V to +5V (i.e. ten octaves) assuming that the oscillators are tuned such that 0V = root note. So all users have to do is properly tune their oscillators (such that no CV in, i.e. 0V = root note set in Hermod). Conversion modules are needed when equipment is not following the 1V/octave standard, but that’s an entirely different story.

What most people will do is transpose; transpose with -5V/5V works the same as with 0-10V, no problems. Few people will add pitch CVs from different sources, since that does not make much musical sense. But it can be done: just add a 5V CV offset to Hermod and your fine. Or add -5V to 0-10V CV in order to make it compatible with Hermod. All modular systems have modules that can do that (Maths, Doepfer Offset or Polarizer Mixers and so on), no problem.

Oh come on! Everyone has to learn this stuff as they go (I am sure you did too!).
It can be a bit tricky to get your head round this stuff to begin with - give the OP a break :slight_smile:

D

Agree.

Great update - easy to install. Thanks.

There is a lot to learn about Synths and Eurorack and music theory and drums and steps and so on if you get into the whole thing. I read and read and read for over 1 year now and still had never read that 1V/Oct wasn’t an absolute value. Now that I know I guess I have to returne my Microbrute and Mother-32 (because those two have playable keys) to play with my Behringer Model D (Because that one can not be offset because it doesn’t have any keys of its own).

Why do you have to return any of these machines? You just have to format the CVs the way it is required. Modular synths are about voltage control. Compared to other things, voltage controlling pitch is trivial. Microbrute has a pitch CV in socket, no? So what is the problem. Instead of learning how to buy/sell modules, learn to use them. Also in creative, non-orthodox ways.

One easy way to demonstrate your dilemma would be that you have a mother32. Now the range knob on the VCO covers 10octaves! Say you have a sequence on your onboard seq. You can always (and should=) decide wether that sequence is playing bass or high bells, according to your VCO range. There you go-bass… if you‘d like to sequence another module from hermod and have the bass from the mother play with this, decide on the range of the other vco and go from there…whats gonna happen next is, tune both oscillators before you sequence module2! I suggest bass C0 and module2 another C above or same-the only thing important is that you tune them to get something musical out of it😎 tuners are the most important part with freefloating OSCs in Eurorackland! I have a mother and this pico precision adder/subtractor, the VCO still needs to be tuned😃the pico became pretty useless, as long as i dont want to switch a tuned mother from internal seq to another seq driving the mother VCO

1 Like

My main problem is playing my 3 synths as one poly-franken-synth. But I found a way now to have them all in the same octave. I turned off all power, registered what the standard octave of each was and noted down which key I have to play so they are all in tune. Thanks!

1 Like