hapaxOS PUBLIC BETA 1.14B

Hey everyone !

Just to let you all know we’re still working on this update, but because some of our team members are on holiday, it is inevitably slowing down our pace.

We’re doing our best to release this as soon as possible, and as stable as possible.

Thank you all for your understanding

21 Likes

(I already emailed about this fyi, just sharing for others)

Reliably, almost every session, the Hapax has begun failing to save my project. Instead, it erases the entire contents of the project folder and freezes.

1 Like

That sucks, luckily its not something ive seen, could it be the sd card failing?

Nope. Reinstalling the firmware fixed it for now. It’s most likely similar to the other bugs where they can come and go if you reinstall the firmware for some reason.

Glad its sorted out, hopefully things like this get ironed out with future releaase’s.
I know this isnt the place, but can we get a range for cc automation in the firmware one day? I’d like to choose between say 0 - 16 for the value instead of 0 - 127. Might be a kind’ve super specific request that only i would like though.

2 Likes

Something getting fixed by reinstalling the firmware sounds dubious. This isn’t Windows, the software running on the system cannot corrupt the firmware AFAIK. So if reinstalling the same version seems to have helped, I’d primarily suspect SD card contact issues. That’s what vanishing contents also sound like.

4 Likes

This might not be the same issue as yours, but I had some weird errors on mine where it would open some projects that I’d saved recently, but not older ones, and then stopped seeing any definition files at all.

I replaced the SD card and it has been fine since. So might be worth trying a different SD card, especially if you regularly swap it in and out (I think I might have damaged mine potentially doing this and not properly ‘ejecting’ on my PC when removing)

Firmware can definitely have issues when compiling or data transfer that cause bugs and/or corruption when installing firmware, so that’s not really correct. Also, downgrading to old firmware fixes the issue. The SD card is fine.

And I’ve already stated in previous posts (as have others) that the mounting issue only happens with the beta firmware. This issue doesn’t happen at all with older firmware. Also, back when I had that issue, I tried another SD card with the same result.

Just to show that it isn’t an SD issue, I put another SD card in the unit today with 1.14B firmware. I copied all the unit contents over. After rebooting the unit a few times, both project folder contents are gone again. And the unit crashes when trying to load projects and will say it’s loading a different project than what I selected in the project menu to load.

Edit: All of the projects I created while using the 1.14B firmware are now corrupted or missing. None are usable on the older 1.13 firmware, which seems to be loading and saving without issue.

Oh no … this needs to be resolved by Squarp.

Right, only now spotted this from the 1.14 changelog:

• SD card driver improved. Hot-plugging should now be possible

So, apparently there’s more work to do on that front…
It also suggests that eject/insert with the device on is not something one should do on older versions at all, which may explain some of the issues people have reported with instrument definitions vanishing etc.

Also note I said SD contact issue, a marginal contact will behave erratically when reseated. But that wouldn’t explain working on older version, the above does…

In the alpha thread it was mentioned that projects saved on 1.14 are unreadable in 1.13 so that seems unrelated, but if that is to be expected it really should be stated in the changelog more prominently. Incompatible file format changes in bugfix releases are unpleasant surprises.

No compilation takes place when (re)installing the firmware. The data transfer is of course subject to bugs/or corruption, but I would expect any self-respecting firmware installer to use checksumming to verify the result. And, whatever flaws passed through that would be present from the start when rebooting to the installed OS. A firmware resides in flash ROM which is only writable through a special bootup mode, the running OS simply can not write to it, and thus it cannot corrupt it over time. That is why reinstalling the same firmware version fixing anything is dubious. More likely the SD card got reseated, mounting on a PC removed the “dirty” bit from the filesystem or such.

For an installed firmware to corrupt itself over time, the flash ROM itself would be faulty. Technically possible of course too. I’d expect such a thing to manifest more broadly, but I’m no expert on flash ROM failure modes, mind. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hello! I’m not sure if anyone has reported this, but in 1.14B entering song mode from patterns crashes… Really doing almost anything in patterns crashes and shows this report… How’s going with final 1.14?

Among other features, the first thing with this amazing device is to fix all the bugs…

1 Like

The affected projects still cannot be accessed when re-updating to 1.14B. The difference is that with 1.14B, the unit freezes when trying to load the file, rather than throwing an error. And when I said files were missing, I meant they are completely gone when accessed from my PC, not just the Hapax (I mentioned this before but I was less clear).

As I said, issues persist regardless of which SD card I use. Also, during my emails with squarp support, they have not suggested that the issue is the SD card.

Bug when attempting to clock via CV in (was not successful, but that may be user error): transport control is stuck on “play” (the green LED behind the button is on), but the transport is not actually playing anything. The unit is responsive, but pressing the stop button does nothing. Switching the clock back to internal, then pressing play, then stop again fixes it. But you have to actually restart playback with the internal clock selected in order for the play button’s LED to activate as normal.

Yeah with the known changes to the SD card handling in the beta, that’s a pretty obvious cause. I didn’t know about that before yesterday.

Are you actually hotplugging the SD, ie are these problems linked to that? Just interested from the how to reproduce/things to avoid perspective.

No, they’re not caused by that. Otherwise, it wouldn’t keep happening to fresh firmware on a fresh project on a fresh SD card. I haven’t even attempted hotplugging for a couple weeks now, well before these issues.

“The affected projects still cannot be accessed when re-updating to 1.14B” this has nothing to do with changes to SD handling. I cannot use the projects in any firmware version, including 1.14B, which is the same version that this specific project was created with.

If I appear to have a short tone, I just get really impatient with having to repeat myself several times in the same thread and want to keep my repeats as brief as possible.

Sorry if it feels like repeating yourself, but at least to me it wasn’t at all clear whether you’re hotplugging or not. Wouldn’t be asking otherwise. “Happens on a fresh install/SD” can mean a thousand subtly different things to different people, and clearly not everybody is experiencing these issues with the beta. So I’m trying to understand why. Ain’t my bug to solve but like said, understanding what causes could help others reproduce/avoid. I’ll shut up now.

1 Like

You have to press play manually once. Then with the new option CV reset = auto, you can then start transport by sending clock and make it stop by stop sending pulses.