Getting Euclid Effect to play nicely

Hi,

Wondering if someone can help me get some sense out of the Euclid effect.

I have just a single “step”, haven’t messed with the sequence length (Step + Y) or sequence zoom (Step + X)

I have a randomised base pattern based on the following parameters -

Quantize: 1/16
Min Num Notes: 24
Max Num Notes: 32
Min Notes: C3
Max Notes: C8

and then a Scale effect (Minor Dorian) over the top.

Anyway, this produces a nice (short) random pattern, 32 notes with some gaps, played at a reasonably fast tempo.

What I want to do is get the Hermod to repeat the first (say) 5 notes of this pattern over and over, so that the “overall” pattern would repeat itself every 160 notes (5*32), in a polyrhythmic manner.

I had assumed the Euclid effect would do this, but no amount of experimentation with the Steps / Fills / Rate parameters seems to generate this kind of effect. I tend instead to get long silences punctuated by the occasional stray note :-/

Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Many thanks

The way Euclid works is - as long as a gate is held open the Euclid effect ‘heard’. When there isn’t a gate, Euclid is still running but not ‘heard’. So think of the gates on the sequencer as a muting of the Euclid effect.

The simplest way to hear this is to set up a Modulation track and then switch to the gate lane and play a long gate. Turn on the Euclid effect and you’ll hear it play. Now if you go back to the gate lane and break it up a bit with gaps - you can hear how that effects Euclid’s output.

So in your situation - I would extend the gates fully so it is Legato and playback and slowly change the length of the gates to get a pattern you’re after.

Alternatively, if you like your pattern and simply want to repeat just the first 5 steps then set the length of your track to 5 steps and have it loop.

1 Like

OK that’s a terrific reply, thank you. Had no idea that a gate had to be open in order for the effect to be heard (shouldn’t it be clear about this in the manual ??) Explains a lot, eg why I could’t get the Arpeggiator to produce anything either. Off to experiment, thank you :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.