Firmware Suggestion: Sequential Edit Mode

I make a lot of use of “Note learn” when punching in melodies. Punching in longer melodies, especially melodies which require more than one page, it is easy to loose oversight. What would be great is a mode in which adding a new note records the value on a particular step and then automatically moves to the next step in the grid. Currently, one has to press the next step manually and then page after step eight. This is inconvenient when having both hands on a keyboard.
Or is there an edit mode which allows me to punch in notes sequentially?

Ive longed for this feature pretty much since i got a Pyramid. Having an SH-101 style sequence entry mode with a fixed timing and note length would be so wonderful. Especially if it then let you apply the Arpeggiator Pattern FX to the steps of the entire track as a whole, including reversing the playback and Brownian motion. Throw in track-level clock dividing of BPM (instead of global only) so you can on-the-fly double or half the track’s overall length by slowing it down or speeding it up relative to the other tracks, and you’ve got yourself a proper step sequencer.

But alas, despite its Step mode, Pyramid is not really designed as a traditional step sequencer. For instance, if entering notes sequentially, how would you enter a rest on the next step? Pyramid doesn’t really have that concept, because it doesn’t really need it, as it’s actually more of a realtime MIDI sequencer than step sequencer. But it does have capabilities traditional step sequencers could only dream of.

1 Like

Neither Pyramid nor Hermod are “step sequencers”, so Ithey do not need to have the functionality you describe, IMO. They can do much more than traditional step sequencers. I have both Hermod and step sequencers, and they complement one another very nicely. Asking for everything in one machine will not really work, because different sequencing concepts require different user interfaces.
What I talked about is very different, I was referring how one enters notes.

Ah my mistake then. Your statement,

What would be great is a mode in which adding a new note records the value on a particular step and then automatically moves to the next step in the grid.

… sounded to me like the SH-101 style of step sequence entry.

So with what you are describing, how would you define “the grid”? And each note you enter gets one step in that grid, all with a uniform note length? Or would the notes be longer if you held them longer? If the latter, would that mean that it would insert rests automatically if you waited too long to press the next note? Or would it allow you to enter the notes at whatever pace you needed, while maintaining a uniform placement and distribution in the resulting sequence?