Find your steps!

:slight_smile:

OK, so you are talking about an external hardware to can connect Pyramid in to

( yes this screen from push is like cakes and candies and it will be copied by many sooner ) :wink:

by the way The Loudest I want to make a point about the Pyramid App. I was introducing you.

A pyramid app with be great for everyone.
why?
There is one mega point in favour of this:

A screen like the one from an iPad would permit to see things that cannot fit on the little screen of the sequencer.
for instance, to see all the bars of of a track. or for example all 64 tracks at once instead of only 16.
it would make sense also in STEP mode to see a bigger piano roll.
it would make also sense for SEQ mode in order to see graphically something more.

So what I am telling are no new feautures but just an overview of what is going on on the pyramid in major scale.

THAT IS IT !!!

I REALLY THINK THAT THIS WOULB BE A GREAT FOR HOME STUDIO. NOT FOR LIVE.

This is the big difference between the MAchine or PUSH.

the STANDALONE thing that they donā€™t have.

Yes I understood your concern
it comes mainly from the fact that the Pyramid screen is actually too small ā€¦
I agree but, personally, I would prefer a hardware revision ā€¦
because a ā€œHardware Controller+iOS deviceā€ solution is no longer a ā€œstandaloneā€ solution in my opinion ā€¦
but, like I said, if it is useful for some users, and that doesnā€™t stop the Squarp Team to focus on standalone solutions, I would be ok with that

because, indeed, it lacks a solution like a stand-alone Push (or Maschine) on the marketā€¦ just a MIDI only sequencer (but advanced features)
and I think the Pyramid could be this solution
In fact, I especially believe in the potential of PyraOS
which I hope will be able to be declined on other devices : )

Nor in mine. As soon as a 2nd piece of equipment is required for full operation, it adds another point of possible system failure, another power point and another point for an earth signal to start looping, especially using MIDI over USB with not earth on the master or peripheral*. Not to mention the issues of needing to produce updated software for new iterations of the peripheralā€™s operating system.
In the past other companies have made expansions for adding monitors, mice and keyboards to their device, such as the Roland MV-8000, though those expansions were envisaged from the outstart.

One of my major problems with using mobile devices for replacing physical interfaces is the lack of tactile controllers. Maybe Iā€™m old, heheh. Though the need to see more info at once could be addressed using a tablet app that can display multiple pages with a way of letting the user decide which pages are displayed and in what layout on the display device. Also a quick way to jump between layouts.

OT
*Iā€™ve not encountered and earth noise will using my Pyramid, even with the CV/Gate connected, though my Beatstep Pro has caused a few hums which became worse depending on what colours the pads are running. Both are running on USB power from mains-power adaptors. I ended up curing it by half-jacking CV patch cables. Dunno why that worked as I am using the required TS leads and not TRS, but it worked so Iā€™m running with it!

So, adding my grain of salt to this, Iā€™m not surprised that since it was their first hardware effort, the pyramid underestimated the core hardware resources for that project. Theyā€™ve learned a lot, and HERMOD, which seems to have a lot less features, has more than twice the CPU/RAM allocation of the original Pyramid.

Iā€™m perfectly happy with the amount of information thatā€™s displayed on the screen, so I donā€™t really want to have a larger one, but a higher resolution screen of the same physical size would be great, if only to have a font that can use more than 7 pixels to draw a single letter.

As an alternative to the full RGB pads, Iā€™d like to suggest a dual LED pad scheme instead. I hate how RGB LED interfaces end up looking like an ugly christmas tree, and I prefer the reduced palette of the Dual LED scheme that the Digitakt (Red+White) and the Electribe (Red+Blue) uses. Both allow more information to be seen on the pads, without having arbitrary colors that are hard to tell apart and end up making it harder to remember what means what.

After coming to a year of working with the Pyramid ( ok 3-4 months with the 2.X OS because the pattern-based workflow is different ) I find that Iā€™m really fast on it and it really helps with my creativity.

Noise: Iā€™m powering the Pyramid from a usb hub attached to the iConnectMidi4+ since I want to use all 3 Midi ports on the Pyramid ( A+B+USB)

1 Like

I agree that the most important thing is to have a high resolution screen
(itā€™s better to have the same size in high resolution rather than a larger screen with the same low resolution ā€¦)
because there is also a problem of refresh rate with this kind of ā€œoldā€ LCD screens
this is also why we can not have a smooth scroll in real time, proper VU meters or even a real playbar that crosses the screen of the Piano Roll
(btw I donā€™t know if we will see different playback directions on this version of Pyramidā€¦)

for example, the screen of the Teenage Engineering OP-1 is small but much more powerful

maybe that a screen like the one on the Push is a little too large (even if it would be very helpful for the Piano Roll screen ā€¦)
but this horizontal format would also allow to have the encoders just below the corresponding values.
Again, we would gain a lot in readability and ergonomics

about RGB leds, I find them quite interesting, because it can be an additional help if it is smartly implemented, with a simple color code, just for the different states of steps
without having the ā€œChristmas tree effectā€ that we can see sometimes, indeed ā€¦
(and there is still the possibility to have a ā€œmonochrome optionā€ in the settings for those who donā€™t like color)
another advantage of RGB leds is that we can have all the lenght of the notes visually on the pads (not only the first step)
the Electribes (v2) have this but with only two colors it is pretty messyā€¦
but (except for this last function) a 2 color version would be fine too, of course :slight_smile:
Letā€™s say it seems that they started to integrate some RGB leds on the Hermod, and I think they will see the interest and the new opportunities available for the workflow

The screen of Push 2 it is just not nice for piano roll or some little moreā€¦
This screeen is just outstanding and it can show things that have no difference from high resolution PC screen. Its just thinner , and actually I would add some more for vertical needs.
Push has a lot to offer , and Squarp may take a lot from it if they want to succeed next future generations.

1 Like

yes, youā€™re right ! For example it would be nice to have more than one octave on the Piano Roll screen
and a larger vertical size would be nice for that

Also, I was thinking about a dual screen like on ā€œMaschineā€,

maybe it would be even better for PyraOS
I donā€™t knowā€¦

:wink:

it starts to shape the real needs for Pyramid.
I wonder at that point how far we are from a total integration of hardware and software in one machine.
I am sure we are very near; but it is not this generation yet. though, I am sure it could be already here.
I still think Pyramid look overall better of push 2 , still. But it is nice to point what it should be at this point.

I reserve same kind of approach to synth companies. I also think that they donā€™t wnt to run anymore in evolution.
there is a kind of general fear that the situation will escape from their hands. The hands of companies.

how it could be better?
we have not double screen!!

double screen isnā€™t the point. A long and big screen can always be splitted by a program.

the poin would be to have different programs gping onā€¦ and yes , splitting the view is something clever for sooooo many needs.
but for do that you need space.
you need an iPad :smiley:

yeah, a lot of people dream about a real ā€œstandalone pushā€ or a real ā€œstandalone maschineā€ (with the Native Instruments plugs suite includedā€¦)
But some other musicians (like me) just need a modern ā€œMIDI onlyā€ sequencerā€¦
and the more modern currently (imo) is the Pyramid
maybe the more advanced is the Cirklon (I would love that PyraOS reach the Cirklon level in terms of featuresā€¦)
but a more modern hardware would not be luxuryā€¦
especially the screen and the leds like I said above
the other parts and the global design of the Pyramid (mkI/mkII) are fine I believeā€¦

1 Like

ha haā€¦ :wink: Push and Maschine donā€™t need an iPadā€¦
I think it is possible to have all the informations on only one piece of hardware
I donā€™t know what would be better for PyraOS (one wide screen or two independant screens) but I am sure I would buy a Pyramid with High Resolution Color Screen in a flash! : )

EDIT: ā€¦and a better CPU/RAM combo of courseā€¦

1 Like

I agree with all you saidā€¦ just now letā€™s waitā€¦ as long as it is possible

yes, we have moved away from the main topic of this threadā€¦ but maybe we should talk about it elsewhere ā€¦
If the Squarp team no longer takes feature requests for PyraOS (because they have enough from the old forum)
perhaps, on the other hand, it is useful to share some ideas for possible HARDWARE evolutions ā€¦ : )

Like I said on another thread, I hope that PyraOS is build in a way that they can move it on other hardware devices
maybe some updated features could still benefit those who want to keep the first versionā€¦ (Like some updates of the Push2 benefit to the Push1)

1 Like

oh sure!!!

it would be more than fair for all of those who supported them from the MK1, as me, even whitout having it from the beginning, I was dreamiing pyramid since I think 1 year and an half.
It make me proud to have the MK1. it makes me proud to be on the first 500 people who noticed this squarpy guys.
I donā€™t regret having it, no so ever!
I only regret it if they cannot achieve basic things that are the basis of other sequencers.
free up a lot of memory to give us more sequences is one of those things, and I know that I sound grumpy, but its freaking crazy that I electribe mx-1 have more lushus variety pattern that we have after so many years and paying actually same price. ok, more tracks and more tricks but no sounds. I am sure they can still work on patterns VS sequences .
Tracks, they are 64. this is WOW !! I will never complain about his huge amount.
they wa it looks and behaves is gorgeous.
Now, thing is : is it true they will expand pyraOS till the 3.1 as they sayd long time ago?
because if this is true; well we still have some hope.

I really think that now its time to make us happy all a bit more, cus has been to much time ago they donā€™t let us know about updatesā€¦ and I really think we are all here waiting for thisā€¦ newest as oldest users cusā€¦ P.S.

I HATE the fact that they take in account only advices from the very old usersā€¦ and the ones that came one year later?
what we are ? stupids?
I got ideas that nobody else had before and still I have to read " we got already 350 requests so we are gonna look at thoseā€¦ BLA BLA BLA !!!

if someone who came later have better advices and maybe even better and easiest WHY THE FUCK they prefer to give the privilege to the oldest?

mmm

I donā€™t remember this statement, but I know for sure they said that they plan to make updates (based on some requests from the old forumā€¦)
but there is the Hermod release soon, so I guess they are very busy at the momentā€¦
btw it is really a pity that the Hermod doesnā€™t have PyraOSā€¦
it disappointed me, because it means that they can not do both at once ā€¦ or in any case, it will be more complicated ā€¦ :frowning:

hmā€¦ actually, I guess they have already in minds the definitive roadmap (more or less) for the Pyramid mkI/mkIIā€¦
probably just a few requests from the 350 old requests
but I understand your point of view

1 Like

Actually,
do you think that the pattern groups launch still a possibility in their updates?
I am getting in peace with the 32 sequences limit but this would solve lot of issues.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œpattern group launchā€ā€¦?

I mean , an option to launch more pattern tracks attached together.

for example I thought it like that:
IN seq mode selct one sequence per time (could be from play project or perform) then: seq+track and you have 16 pads to select 16 groups of patterns from different tracks that you attached together. by pressing e.g pad 1 you enable the instant change of 3 patterns track together. this wold be use full for full groovy needs. when you have a bass line going aggressive and with a simple press you obtain a full drum set launched.

this way sequence limit it would become something odd, cause then you can entirely structure you song up to a single sequence !!!