Encoder switch issue (pre June 2022 units)

I would expect as people use the hapax more, then we will see this more.
simply because, as you click down, you are pushing the knob further down the shaft.
(albiet by very tiny amounts)

for a while, just pulling it back up with ‘sort it out’ , but over time, it’ll naturally get looser, and so become more frequent, or stop working.
at which point, paper in the end of the cap will fix it for good :wink:

personally, Ive done this paper in knob cap for a few synths over the years, so its a non-issue.
though, in fairness… usually it takes a couple of years to manifest.

anyway if you don’t find the workaround acceptable, you should contact Squarp via the contact form for a solution.

from post above, sounds like Squarp are aware of the issue and are changing the knobs, so can resolve for existing users - and presumably next batch of hapax will use these alternative knob caps.

Changed all mine to some Sifam rubbery knobs I had lying around. I didn’t realise how bad the problem was until my workflow had me clicking encoders I previously didn’t. Nearly all of them had issues. The difference in quality of knob build is quite alarming. The Squarp ones are pure cheapy shop quality.

2 Likes

Any news from Squarp about these non functional knobs? Seems like a lot of users has problems with them.

The problem is with the knob caps, rather than the pots. Basically they get pushed down too far so that they stop the push bit clicking in. It’s happened on one of my encoders finally the other week, but there is a really easy fix, of putting a bit of paper or tape down the bottom of the knob cap,. then sliding it back on. I did this to all my knobs when it happened (and had to do it on my Pyramid, and my Elektron Rytm for that matter) and it fixes it so it never happens again.

I think it is something they’re looking at (ie, different caps) but dunno what the status is. I think it’s a general problem with push encoders, I tried a wide variety of caps on my Rytm when it first happened, and the only ones that actually seemed to be 100% fine were the ones you get on Sequential synths, but I’ve been unable to find where they source those from or buy any spares (plus wasn’t going to rob the Sequential synth I had at the time of it’s pretty caps)

They need to do something. The knobs are not just causing trouble with encoder clicks. They’re also the worst feeling part of the machine. They feel cheep and hollow, they’re too wide, kind of nubby, too slippery to turn, and they’re awkward to press even when not sunk too low.

Just this week one of my encoders was having issues with clicking and, instead of looking for tape or balled paper I put on some Sifam knobs I had left over from a Thunk order (small, unskirted). I’m so upset that I waited so long to get rid of those stock knobs. Putting the Sifams on there not only fixed the clicking problem, them being taller and narrower has made everything about the encoders feel nimbler.

Your mileage may vary. They’re just knobs after all. They’re not going to change your life. But for my 2¢, they’re by far the weakest link of the Hapax.

Are knobs all just interchangeable these days, just order 8 knobs and caps from your link and they will fit?

The knobs are all ‘D-Shaft’ standard, although you have to make sure you get unskirted ones, otherwise the skirt will push against the face plate stopping you from pushing to click.

1 Like

Not true. My pic above has skirted sifam’s. They sit perfectly without touching the plate.

Fair enough. I’ve got these on my Elektron Sifam Soft Touch Encoder Knobs – Thonk – DIY Synthesizer Kits & Components (the larger size) and the skirt on them was stopping me from pressing in when I tried them on my Hapax.

They look different from the Sifam ones in your photo, though, those look closer to the knobs that were originally on the Pyramid.

Also, I know it’s not as aesthetically pleasing, and they come in all sorts of colors so it’s whatever works for you, but I really love being able to see my knobs rather than doing the black-on-black thing.

I think maybe, just due to the size of the Hapax and all the knobs being on the top, there’s an illusion of having to “reach” for them. Having high-contrast knobs helps with that.

Do you have a link to those knobs?

EDIT: I see the links now!

I have never encountered this problem on my gears with push encoders. For example Deluge works excellent after 3 years, Oxi One works excellent since January. Without any papertricks.

It would be nice to hear from Squarp what they have done to solve this problem. When you buy a new gear you wanna feel happy, excited and not have the feeling that you know there is a known problem with the hardware, but you need to wait and see if you are unlucky.

So.

Squarp: what have you done to solve this problem for the first batch and the future batches?

i change the knobs - everything is fine

knobs

1 Like

Oh, they look really smart. Nice!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, do the Deluge knobs fit on the Hapax shafts? I sold my Deluge, but loved the feel of those knobs and I see you can order them on the Synthstrom site.

I just put on some Grey Small Unskirted D - Sifam Plastic Knob with Small Encoder Black - Sifam Plastic Cap (No Line) from Thonk and they work great. The grey color makes them a lot easier to reach for in a dark room, as well.

3 Likes

Hi,
My Pyramid knobs are worn out. I’m trying to find a replacement. Will be amazing if someone here will send me the unused hapax knobs that you are all replacing? I’m in Barcelona-Spain i can do a paypal if needed.

Thanks

Good news! Crosspost to be sure no one misses it:

3 Likes

thanks @jemmons.
Ive updated the first post to include this, and kind of conclude this issue.

I’m going to close this topic, as its feels like its now run its course… we have workaround, replacement, or custom knobs.

I think the discussion on custom knobs is cool, and Im enjoying seeing what others are using - but I think would be better in a separate topic… as users of later units that won’t need to replace the knobs, might still be interested.
Ive a feeling we had a similar topic with pyramid knobs… or perhaps Im confusing it with a similar topic we had about Critter and Guitar Organelle, where some were adding some bling :slight_smile:

so anyone thats changed the knobs to add some character , feel free to create a new topic.
(ideally in first post add tech specs e.g. shaft size/ D, and min depth etc)

2 Likes