DIY USB PD power for HAPAX (including battery power!)

Recently, one of my customers sent me this picture of his portable Hapax setup (using a Birdcord PD→15V). It works very well for him:

2 Likes

This cable from Amazon also works with no issues.

Interestingly, the power usage from the Hapax alone is very low, at around 1W (though it would be interesting to see if this goes up with CPU usage). When an external device is hosted via USB the power consumption goes up significantly - much more than expected with just the addition of the USB device.

I’d also be interested to hear what your customer thinks of the bluetooth adapters - I have the CME ones (USB, trs, 5-pin etc, tried every combination thereof) - I find them kinda ok for one-way midi controller use, but absolutely useless if you need bi directional midi, like a clock one way and notes sent the other way. Just dropped notes all over the place.

2 Likes

I have used it with the widi bud pro connected to my widi thru6 BT. It works fine for me. Make sure you pay attention to latency priority vs. jittery priority. The latter will probably help prevent those dropped notes, but latency will be a tad higher (better than some USB midi devices though).

Any recommendations for which USB-C battery to use?

I’ve noticed that a bunch of batteries for charging laptops, like this one, have set DC output voltages : 12v, 16v, 19v, and 24v, I’m guessing because those are common voltages for laptops. @Thibault_Squarp Is the 16v output going to trigger the 15v input over-voltage protection? Is this a good route or would it be better to go the USB-C 15v PD direction?