Bome box in your midi rig?

Power would be my first suspect there. BomeBox is Linux inside and MidiHub is nothing special there, it’s just a piece of class-compliant USB gear, known to work fine with Linux in general.

@pmatilai has it, I believe: power.

Try powering the Box with a cell phone transformer.

I had an issue using a powered hub that did some auto detection thing and would end up power cycling the Box. My solution was a different hub that didnt offer that sort of data/charge switching option.

1 - I don’t use it as a hotspot. I’m not smrt enough. :slight_smile:

2 - Aliases hurt my brain for awhile, but I think I have it down. (I’ve been using this for like 5-6 years so…almost there. LOL) Aliases are paramount for switching between the computer and the BomeBox*. Note: You can even use things like “Controller In” and then set up multiple inputs using the Controller In input. I use things like “OBTD”, “XL1”, “PE” (which are synths) and they all go to the same physical port which is the Box DIN Out.

Your followup post

Yup. And then you know why/how it starts growing when you realise you can do so freakin much!

It’s like the Matrix: everyone else sees MIDI data as Notes and music…but then we see it as streams of data. LOL

How exciting!

yea - i figured power would be it. For the midihub that means i’d need a different cable since it’s powered and runs data from the same usb port. i believe the bomebox outputs 150ma so maybe that’s just not enough for the ol’ midihub.

I uh, i just got an mio instead. lol done and done!

You can also connect a powered USB hub to the BomeBox. Just for beat results (IMO) avoid the ones that switch between charge and data, like some of the DLink ones.

I don’t know if this is extraneous info or static, or value at all, but on my Box I have a hub with:

• Mio 2 Port interface (Data & Power)
  • Minitaur (data)
  • USB Powered Button/LED/Knob controller (data & power)
  • Prophet 12 (data)
  • Power for the BomeBox (yup, the Box is powered from one of the USB ports)
  • Pyramid (power & data)

oh a powered hub hadn’t occured to me.

also the electrical loopback to the bomebox is genius lol

Loopback isn’t my hack - came from Florian. :wink:

The Bome Forum is bril, btw. Great info there and in the ‘old forum’ (searchable only).

1 Like

The question was using the MIDIHub with a BomeBox.

Oh I missed that out, sorry. Once I was about to buy a BomeBox but I decided for Midihub, finally.

cheers sf

New here, waiting on delivery of the Pyramid, but I am already a BomeBox and MTP user. I currently use the BomeBox with a USB hub for class-compliant synths and the DIN ports for those that are not. I connect to the Mac with the Ethernet cable and have the BomeBox setup to connect to my network, so I can use the web browser to access it. Fun stuff! I’m looking forward to integrating the Pyramid into the setup. My plan is to just plug it into the USB hub along with everything else, and it sounds like from reading all this that it should work fine…

That is exactly how i have my Pyramid & BomeBox in my rig. Works brilliantly!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 21 days. New replies are no longer allowed.