Avoiding retriggers for pads/drones

Thank you! I must confess I had not found this feature yet…

i think i have a similar but possibly different question regarding note length sustains and Patterns. does changing the TRIG mode setting for a given Track also mean that I can carry over the note length from one Pattern to a new Pattern?

i’m finding that if i want to trigger a long vocal sample on the 4-beat (basically the end) of one Pattern into the first bar of a 4/8/16 beat new Pattern, i can’t set the note length of that step to play long enough across two Patterns.

a workaround for this is to just set my Blackbox samples into Trigger or Toggle mode so they’ll keep playing independent of whatever Pyramid’s Track does. but ideally i prefer to have all my samples in Gate mode so I can always control the length that they play at a Step level

also, does Hapax’s Pattern/Section/Song workflow change how any of this might work compared to Pyramid? thanks in advance for any experiences or insight

I believe the Pyramid does not allow Note Lengths greater than the length of the bar.

In my understanding, normal workarounds for drones are:

• Toggle Mode, as you are currently using
  • Using MIDI CC64 Sustain

However, I think the BB doesn’t respond to CC64.

If Toggle Mode is not optimum, and the BB really doesn’t respond to Sustain Pedal msgs, then other options might be:

• Event processor to ‘swallow’ the Note Off msg (also requiring another option for generating a Note Off when you want, but that’s easily accomplished with any event proc of value IMO)
  • Still use Toggle Mode, but use a CC on the Pyramid to control the Volume (0=off). This nerfs any restarts of the drone but gives you step level control of the presence of the drone.
  • If you just want to wait for your peformance to end for cancelling a drone, a “double stop” on the Pyramid will send an All Notes Off msg (CC123 I think) - which hopefully the 1010 devices respond to

I don’t know if any functions of the Hapax would resolve your issues, but it would seem to me what you’re running up against is a standard MIDI brick wall/age old question.

Hapax has a note length of “infinity” so that’ll play without retriggering until you mute or change pattern or the heat death of the universe. Whichever happens first.

2 Likes

Thanks @Loz

Once again, the Squarp Team knows what we need and delivered! :laughing: