7000 events limit per project?

… but would require that much more CPU to be calculated on the fly.

… which is not a bad thing if you have more CPU power than RAM. I don’t see people complaining about Pyramid CPU choking, whereas the event limit is a constant topic.

3 Likes

It would be helpful if there we could thin the recorded CC data with a function, filter by thresholds and set custom resolution. Sometimes we need full resolution, sometimes it just isn’t neccessary and unimportant data take up precious RAM space.

I’m one of those weirdos that never has even seen Ableton in real life and do not intend to, that’s why I got Pyramid in the first place :wink:

Mmm. This makes me dream of an effect that only lets a given percentage of events (selected cc or notes) through. Being an effect, it could be applied either live or during playback, and consolidated when appropriate and would seem to fit the overall Pyramid design quite nicely.

2 Likes

Umm…can do that with a BomeBox.
Data out on one track, into BomeBox, thin the data, re-record on loopback. Whut?

Im troubleshooting a rather complex and involved set of scripts, but if i need a break today, i think i might try that.

Brainstorm: a single Note Event at the start of the sequence to trigger the thinning and routing where the velocity value of that single Note Event indicates the resolution.

In passing: any other brainstorms? Itll be an MTPro script, so can do it with a 'puter also.

Sorry, been writing controls for the Pyramid to be operated by a 4×8 button controller so im into embedding values to pass back and forth inside of Note data. Chances are it will run on a computer.

Race? Someone else want to do it faster? :wink:

Yup, external midi processors can do that too. Consolidating is a bit more old-school than pressing a button, not that there’s anything wrong with that - physically connectable wires can connect things that the software developer never dreamed of.

Been intending to build something of Arduino, but haven’t had enough of an itch to try scratching it yet.

I need a custom MIDI controller and have to go the Arduino route. I need a consultant to ask really stupid questions before i consider going that route. Do you Arduino enough to perhaps answer some stupid questions in a PM?

I don’t have much experience with Arduino, I’ve just played around with it a bit a few years ago so might not be of much help. But why not just ask in public in the “other gear” category, I’d be surprised if there weren’t any more knowledgeable folks on the forum?

I was planning on getting around to that, but the topic came up in this thread, so figured id cut to the chase. :wink:

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill get around to it. Ive only just finished the script and still fleshing out the workflow to verify its what i want/need.

The Retrokits RK-002 is Arduino based. You can do pretty much everything midi you would have done on a proper Arduino board with the RK-002. Programming sketches is done via the standard Arduino environment.

Thanks.
Thats a cable.
I need buttons & knobs. :wink:

You can program the cable to be controlled by a regular midi controller (“IF received this control, THEN do this”). It’s just a tiny computer running custom software.

But as with all projects, I personally would evaluate the “time spent vs benefits” ratio. Especially when I’m not fluid with the language yet…

1 Like

15d

roadmoviemusic:

It would be helpful if there we could thin the recorded CC data with a function, filter by thresholds and set custom resolution.

Mmm. This makes me dream of an effect that only lets a given percentage of events (selected cc or notes) through. Being an effect, it could be applied either live or during playback, and consolidated when appropriate and would seem to fit the overall Pyramid design quite nicely

Yes, sounds like exactly what I was envisioning in my post above:

Actually, that would be a cool MIDI FX Consolidate feature - delete every even event for a given CC lane to effectively cut the total in half. Of course, it would make the modulation more coarse and potentially audibly stepped, but it would help reclaim space dramatically in situations like yours.

As you mentioned, this would fit the Pyramid paradigm (Pyradigm?) quite well.

Personally, if I were to implement such a feature myself, I’d write a Python script that would read a *.mid file and write out a new one, just skipping some ratio of events based on the input parameters. Obviously using such a tool would require a pc and manual effort that falls outside if what I consider a “creative workflow”, but thats kinda par for the course with many advanced Pyramid activities.

But frankly if I’m going to involve a computer and manipulating midi files I pulled from the sd card, I imagine the easiest, most flexible and user friendly solutions lie in Ableton or Bitwig. If DAW-work is in one’s wheelhouse, of course.

But IDEALLY, this CC curve de-rezzing would just be an option built into the Consolidate function on the Pyramid itself.

Again: i need a controller, not a cable. :wink:

Thing is, the existing chance effect comes agonizingly close to this. If only it was applicable to CC in addition to notes…

[Chance]->[Note to CC]?

But still, the Events need to be there and Chance is subtractive

Note to CC isn’t much help when the source data is CC. Now, if there was a CC to Note effect you could use that to make CC into notes, chance away say 50% of the data and the convert back with Note to CC…

But as long as we’re talking about if-onlys, I’d much rather have an actually sane, straightforward way to do it :smile:

3 Likes

Honestly i think we’re looking too hard at resolving a problem of our own creation.

2 Likes

you got it righjt… but now there are 10000 events… its a bit bettere…
But we all know that.
now money pull to hermod and all system related to modular… so they go running to money.

I hope as we in many here they will have at least the fair attitude to repair what they left half way …

Pyramid is really un-complete.
There is not even a reverse function, asked probably … I don’t know … bilions times.
And sequenceMODE totally unworked.
I wish Hermod was never born.