Squarp + Reaper sync workflow?

Hey folks, I’m trying to make house music with my Pyramid and Reaper and I feel like I’m fighting MIDI clock jitter half the time.

• If I set the Pyramid to sync to Reaper, the Pyramid drifts forwards and backwards by ~5ms trying to stay in sync (and on the Pyramid screen I can see that the BPM shifts by +/- 0.2 BPM over time).

• If I record without sync, there is no jitter at all.

• If I set Reaper to sync to the Pyramid, Reaper will always jump to the start of the track when I press Play on the Pyramid, so I can’t do any punch-in recordings partway through the track.

At this point I can see two workarounds:

1. Record all new material at the very start of the project in Reaper and manually slide it into place afterwards (so no punch-in).
  2. Disable sync completely and manually move the source material around in Reaper until it’s in sync.

Both of these are sorta rubbish. Can anyone out there recommend something I haven’t thought of? (Or commiserate? :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hi,

I was playing around with a similar Setup but with an different approach. Pyramid is master and reaper Slave. I do basically the whole arrangement in Pyramid and use reaper as mixer and synth/sampler. After arrangement is finished i can Record to Audio or Import the midi Files from Pyramid.

Cheers

If I set the Pyramid to sync to Reaper, the Pyramid drifts forwards and backwards by ~5ms trying to stay in sync (and on the Pyramid screen I can see that the BPM shifts by +/- 0.2 BPM over time).

If I set Reaper to sync to the Pyramid, Reaper will always jump to the start of the track when I press Play on the Pyramid, so I can’t do any punch-in recordings partway through the track.

Squarp could fix these problems by adding Midi Time Code support.
But, they don’t seem to be listening anymore.

Yeah, I considered that as well, but it leads to a one-way workflow where once the material is in the computer it’s hard to change or augment.

I guess I’m leaning in this direction as well. Punching-in and overdubbing is just going to be pain I suppose.