Simple way to achieve different number of steps (how Squarp does it)

Howdy!

We all know it has been very easy to get 7, 9 or any other number of steps with the Euclidean mode. But many of us have been doing brain gymnastics to achieve the same with regular tracks. Since now with 3.0 it is possible to consolidate a track, we can see how Squarp does it and its simple!

Set track signature to 16/4, zoom to 1 and just play with the track length. That will give everyone an easy way to get those pesky last steps in place without the need of math :wink:

PS. To see it in work or yourself, create an Euclidean track with a different number of “steps” than 16 and then consolidate the track.

PPS. You can change the track defaults in the settings under misc.

Hope this helps someone!

1 Like

cool, yeah that follows I guess from their polyrhythms diagram.

it does have the disadvantage that zooming out only now gives you 1/4 notes, rather than bars, where you have zoom /4

also, playing with this, it looks like consolidate of euclid does not work with polymeter mode, where it tries to do the same procedure, so goes to 16/4 , zoom 1 - but that gives you something quite different to the euclid pattern you setup :slight_smile:
@squarpadmin , perhaps a bug?

been using 16/4 as my defult for while, becuse like you say, its the fastest way to play with uneven track lenghts, but it seems like alot of stuff behaves a bit (in my mind) odd, like the live repeater is going 4times faster, i mean “extratone” is cool but i would like the divisions to stay the same, i also noticed the eucliden mode is faster, and i belive the quantziser etc also follows this.

ben trying with all combinations of zoom and 16/4 4/16 etc.

getting a bit frustrated, i use alot of polymeters and want to keep 16/4 as my default, could there be fix with like a global tempo divider/multiplier or someting. @squarpadmin

Just wanted to bump this one more time, im in email contact with squarp, so we’ll se how it goes :slight_smile:

But doesn’t anyone else have this problem? setting the Pyramid up in 4/16 for easy poly meters and then realising that the resolution of the tempo based effects and the quantizer changed to a to a “to high” resolution to be usable.

@mah
the equivalent of the default 16 steps “4/4 with zoom x4” is : 16/16 with zoom x1
(you can check with a 4/4 track and a 16/16 track the two tracks have the same duration in the TRACK+DISP screen, “polymeters” option)

so if you choose a /16 time signature
(with zoom x1)
you shouldn’t have problem to set up patterns with 15…14…13… steps
(it would be, respectively, 15/16 14/16 or 13/16)

@TheLoudest Hmm, i dont think you really get my problem, getting a 15…14…13…step pattern is not really the problem.

The problem comes when i want to use an effect (like an arpeggiator) on a 16/16 track, i recorded a (shaky) video example, where i start with an 16 step 4/4 track with and arp with an rate of 1/16 then i change the track to 16/16 time signature and you can here the arp going 4times faster, the same thing happens with the quantizer, which is the most annoying

@mah You do understand that the FX rate is related to the time signature?
For the same effect you have to alter the FX rate as much as you change the time signature.
The problem you will face here is the RATE is rather limited, so you wont be able to get the same results.

4/4 track RATE 1/64 = 16/16 track RATE 1/4.

ye. or at least i guessed it was that way, but it it does not make sense to me workflow wise, i think we should be able to make a 15step pattern without the fx rate quadrupling.

I think Squarp should extend the range of the fx rates or make a global rate mult/div. (or make it possbile to subtract 1 step in ts 4/4)

sorry for the whine anyways, this is the only big obstacle in the Pyramid for me right now, i get super annoyed every time i make a polymetric thing and want to throw som fx on there and i reallise that the rate is way to high to be usable at all (not always) :confused: