Quantizing External CV Sources

Is it possible to have the Hermod to continuously listen to incoming CV signals from a random voltage source i.e. the Marbles and quantize them based on selected scales? If yes, I would love a recipe because I couldn’t do it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. Get Marbles t and x out into say hermod a and b in. Choose an empty track, as this wont work as long as you have something on that hermod track. Engage the scale effect and there you go. I have not tried the marbles y out to record (or input) a modulation track in hermod, but i‘d say this works as well-important is the gate and cv input for direct input monitoring. With the latest os there are problems when you‘d want to record cv only-i havent mastered this yet and prolly this is going to work with the new improved os where you can decide wether you want to override recorded cv or not-see fix that gate bug thread😎

3 Likes

Is there a way to do this without having to have a note entered on the step mode?

I’ve set up my Hermod to receive random voltages in Input A. I have that Cv effecting the Root Note of Track 1. And Track one has a Scale effect. But due to it being set to chang the root note, I have to have steps on the hermod step sequencer.

Is there another way to have configure the quantizer?

Actually I figured it out. There are two ways to use the mod matrix. Or two ways to set up distributing the CV inputs.

Option A: Track > Settings > CV IN >
(this allows you to set up a quantizer independent of the step sequencer)

Option B: Effects > Matrix

3 Likes

Hi sorry to reopen the thread im having a little trouble quantizing external cv source.

I have a random cv signal going in to CV C.

CV in settings are ‘Track 6 - Mod C’

I have the scale effect on track 6

The cv out of track 6 is going to the 1v/o of an oscillator.

However the pitch of the oscillator is still completely random and not quantized to the scale ive set.

Any pointers would be great!

Thanks

Does anyone know a way to improve the CV IN pitch quantization? If I’m sending alternating 0V 1V segments (from a Marbles with Steps full CW), the quantizer often latches on to the wrong pitch (typically a semitone sharp or flat). I have this problem with other sources and other quantizers, but e.g. the Ornament & Crime has a “trigger delay” option to counteract this, where it waits a few hundred microseconds to quantize as it knows incoming pitch CVs can take a brief moment to settle on the correct voltage.

Do you have Quantize Note in Settings set to ON(Gate)? If you wire up the CV out from Marbles and the gate out from Marbles into CVA/B (or C/D) then it should work.

QUANTIZE NOTE : OFF : ON : ON(GATE)
This option only affects the CV/GATE AB or CD inputed notes. If ON , notes will be quantized to the nearest semitone. If ON(GATE) , notes will be also quantized, but will be captured only when the gate goes from low to high.

Yes, I am using “on (gate)”. It seems that that setting captures the CV value too early, before the CV pitch coming from Marbles has settled on a value.

Here’s the segment on trigger delays from Ornament & Crime’s documentation:

If a sequencer or some other stepped voltage source is being sent to the quantiser, then that voltage may still be slewing to its new intended voltage when o_C samples it, or if this source is digital, there may be a few tens of microseconds delay before the voltage source reacts to the trigger signal (assuming it is the same trigger signal that has been sent to o_C) and starts to slew to the new voltage. If this is the case, the Quantermain , CopierMaschine , Harrington 1200 , Automatonnetz , Meta-Q , Sequins or Acid Curds apps will be sampling and quantising the previous sequence (or transposition or root note) step CV, or the may be sampling the CV as it is slewing to the new value. In such cases, increase the Trigger delay setting until the new CV is reliably sampled after each new trigger/clock signal is received.

That sounds like an issue with Marbles sending it’s gates before it’s cv has settled. If you have a Maths, Quadrax & QX or another gate delay that should solve it. Otherwise maybe try Squarp HQ. They might add the ability to set a gate delay in the OS.