Pyramid + Elektron (digitakt / octatrack) midi questions // sampler advice

omg ok, figured it out. was placing the midi notes on the wrong triggers. ugh! but all your info was helpful

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve seen you mentioned Bomebox as workaround for slaving Digitakt to Pyramid. I just get Bomebox, but can’t figure out how to configure it properly. Changing patterns works fine for me, but initial start sequence triggered from Pyramid to DT is most of the times late. Pyramid sends START SEQUENCE to Digitakt (FA), but DT starts usually on next active note of the sequence. It basically skips first note - DT is probably waiting for sync with its internal sequencer. I am sending also clock messages from PYRA to DT. I’ve tried translate FA to FC FA, but it doesn’t help at all. Could you please advice? (maybe share your BB project :-)) Thanks, Lukas

Once Im awake I’ll take a look at the Digitakt MIDI Implementation.

It really is super simple for the OT:
Incoming: PgmChg, set to oo
Outgoing: FC Cn oo FA

Where n=autochannel

If i get distracted before i respond here, the Bome forum is extremely helpful.

I’m waiting for a BomeBox to arrive and hoping it will work with my Digitakt as it does for your Octatrack. I’m a little nervous as I have a MIDI Solutions Event Processor and even though I’ve programmed it to process Program Changes perfectly, transforming any received Program Changes into a Stop, then the Program Change, then a Start, (I can see it do this through a MIDI monitoring setup) the Digitakt still waits before switching patterns as it does normally.

I’ve so far not been able to find confirmation that anyone has used this method to solve this issue with the Digitakt in particular so crossing all my fingers I can make this work with a BomeBox.

If the MIDI Event Processor is sending the correct MIDI msgs, using a different translator is unlikely to resolve issue.
Sorry

Edit to add: did you ask on Elektronauts if anyone had tried that? Also, you can test it out with MTPro without the BomeBox. Dont even need to buy MTPro - just run it on a computer in between Pyramid and Digitakt to test. If it doesnt work on a computer, it wont work with a BomeBox (the box just runs MTPro, basically).

If you need help with the script, InBox me. Otherwise, you can test it now.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I will give the MTPro a try using the computer as the translator to see if there is any difference. Seems unlikely but worth a shot. I REALLY want the Digitakt to work for this!

I did make a post on the Elektronauts forum and have searched extensively but I haven’t heard anyone’s first hand experience having success with this particular use case with a MIDI Solutions Event Processor and Digitakt. There are several folks like yourself who have had success with the Octatrack and the BomeBox though, but only anecdotal references to the BomeBox doing this successfully with the Digitakt.

I’ll do some tests with MTPro tonight and see. Fingers crossed!

MTPro worked! That should meant the BomeBox will also work. I’m so happy!!!

It is very strange the the MIDI Solutions Event Processor didn’t work. Monitoring the MIDI data for the Event Processor and MTPro, the MDI is identical. I wonder if it could be a power issue, or if the timing is somehow different…?

Anyway, I’m not going to worry about it too much and just get back to making music!

I’ll update my Elektronauts post to let that community know that the Event Processor & Digitakt combo didn’t work. Seems like Bome is the way to go here.

Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Oh child - that is the least im doing between the Box and the OT. :wink:

It gets WAY more complex from there. :wink:

Actually, i dont use the Pattern Stop/Start thing anymore and currently triggering audio sequences on the OT in Plays Free mode, except for 4 Audio tracks that are used for live play (two Flex and two Neighbour tracks) for a monophonic melodic line, but the Box swaps consecutive notes to alternating tracks for the OT in chromatic mode on those tracks so when one note plays it doesnt immediately cut off the previous.

Plus Velocity gets translated to Filter parameters and volume.

And I have a “Fill” routine on a controller script i built that swaps around Pyramid Tracks in a way I wouldnt be able to do using the Pads as Track Mutes and wouldnt work with defining a new Sequence, that also calls MIDI Tracks on the OT that are set as Plays Free/One Shots that feed CC data into Box that determines distribution to the Pyramid for subsequent routing. (To add Stutters and sweeps to melodic elements)

But yeah: FC/FA and all. :wink:

I think i posted my script for MTPro on the Bome forum for that Stop/Start bit. Same handle there I think (Creepypants). It’s super easy tho, so happy to help if you run into a bind.

1 Like

That is definitely strange the same basic msg doesnt work with the MPE. I dont use it, but i know the MPE does a strange MIDI power draw thing. Plus i dont know the Digitakt.

Sezare over on Elektronauts is pretty brilliant when it comes to MPE.

Im very happy MTPro worked!
Welcome to the Boxing world!
Hopefully in good time we’ll have you writing those massive scripts that do all sorts of bizarre stufd that makes everything soooo much easier.

Except for writing the scripts.
But thats the bit I like.
Heh heh

1 Like

I found your posts on Elektronauts.
Im excited you’re going Boxing because i realise you have WAY more brains and knowledge than I do, and I look forward to hearing/seeing your projects if you choose to share. Yay!

Ha. Sorry, I don’t really have plans for the BomeBox beyond getting my Digitakt to play in pattern sync with my Pyramid. Kind of boring I know, but so crucial for me! :slight_smile:

I post most of my music on Soundcloud at https://soundcloud.com/jasonjob. There are a few DJ sets as well as many original tracks across many genres, a bunch of live studio jams and some modular synth patches.

1 Like

I’ve now got this working with Bome MTPro and also with the MIDI Solutions Event Processor. I got in touch with MIDI Solutions and they suggested I insert a SysEx message after the Stop and another before the Start to see if that would help the Digitakt respond correctly. It worked!

I still may end up sticking with Bome if I can find a way to only conditionally do the mapping when the sequencer is playing as if the sequencer is not playing the Digitakt responds correctly already and I don’t need to be sending it a Start after every Program Change it receives.

If i understand what you want to do with conditional mapping then it is “yes, you can do that”.

Basically:
If the sequencer start command comes from this specific source, then turn on (or off) the ability for this other preset to do its thing.

If i get what you want to do.

Sorry you had to buy a different box when it turned out the original box worked with some tweaking.

Thanks. I’ll try that with MTPro. I can always sell which ever processor I don’t end up using, so not a huge deal.

I am noticing one issue with both the Event Processor and the MTPro solution which is that once in a while (maybe 25% of the time) when the Digitakt receives the PC the trig on the first step gets triggered twice. Have you noticed that?

Ah, I don’t use a Digitakt, so I haven’t noticed that.

I also haven’t really been reading threads on the issue tho I vaguely remember a few. In my experience when something like that happens it’s from either too much data being shoved down that pipe or the receiving device needs slightly more time to change Presets and trigger a sound.

Also in my experience it’s a “your mileage may vary” as not every system is affected.

I don’t know how the Digitakt works, but if you’re changing patterns that also includes changing audio samples, that might slow things down enough to lose that first beat. It’s also why I avoid sending PgmCh to synths in the middle of a song/performance while that Track is playing. As for ‘too much data’, I ran into that with an old multi-fx processor back in the day…mid 90s I think. It would get confused if I was sending too much data on other channels.

I’d suggest use MTPro to filter all data except anything specific to the Digitakt as destination. That is, don’t define routes in MTPro but define them in the Presets only. This way, only the data that satisfies the conditions of the presets gets sent to the Digitakt (ie only data destined to control it, nothing on other channels)

If that doesn’t resolve it, I’d imagine it’s that too much stuff is trying to be done on the first beat and the Digitakt OS can’t switch patterns and play the first beat at the same time. :wink: