Pentatonic Scales on Pyramid?

I found a crude but playable workaround for user defined scales (with limitations)

jim

Wow, that’s super clever! I never would’ve thought of that :smiley: Great ingenuity ^.^

you can kind of create user scales by combining scalers

so to create a pentatonic (major) scale is simple
major , followed by a blues minor transposed down 3 semis ( has to filter notes)
e.g. C Penta Minor = C Major (or just play C Major) , then Blues Minor in A.

other scales can be created similarly, sometimes rounding can also work, you just have to find the relevant ‘mask’ scale (the Blue Mn in the above example)

6 Likes

Some of that music theory serious sheeet right there . Nice one

Egyptian mode is Pentatonic

4 Likes

So I was hopeful for this too and surprised not to find it. These days, globalization means many possibilities in what is a “scale” (or if you are Frank Zappa you create your own). But, instead of attempting to catalogue all possible scales, or deciding which are “popular” or “crucial”, the easiest way is to allow custom user scales. Even the “poor man’s Pyramid” Beatstep Pro allowed this from the very beginning. You simply provide the ability to include/omit from the “standard” 12 tone “Western” scale.

But yes, “choosing” scales is fraught with peril, especially for worldwide product/diverse audience.

Simple case in point, I wish to use (create, don’t expect manufacturers to cater to me) 5-point (pentatonic) Hirajoshi scales – common for centuries in East Asian music.

But, it is a beautiful powerful product. No hate here, just surprised.

2 Likes

is this true?

in your example C Penta Minor = C Major then Blues Minor in A surely the C Major quantizing will filter out the D-sharp and A-sharp.

it’s a great idea in theory, would love to know what the definitive combination of scales to achieve a pentatonic minor scale is. i’ve mailed squarp a few times about adding it but to no avail. it does seem a real shame and a strange omission.