Multi timbra CC definition - One or more text files?

How many files we should use for multi timbral synths? As much as their channels?
there is a limit of 16 instruments so I guess also 16 texts as well. One text per channel?
But what if we use two multi timbral synths each having 16 channels in use?
I am now working on it … but it it strange I have to copy 16 texts equally and for each of those just changing the channel number.

2 more questions:
The first is more of a curiousity now unnecessary maybe but before it was, so:
1)how did you write the parameters on Blofeld before … I have tried to find but didn 't find the mention " how to type it "
2) Here two questions:
The file should be "for instance “virus.txt”. But first: if I open a text file this would be some format, like rtf for instance.how to save in txt?
The otehr important question is : if I have 16 channels of Virus how do I should save “virus.1.text” and so on or how

My understanding is that you could put all of your definitions in one file, and simply put a separate “definition block” for each channel that you wish to assign the definitions to.

Alternatively, you could use a separate .fxt file for each instrument, which would require several “definition blocks” for a multitimbral synth (one for each channel”). This is the method I used for the PreenFM2 with success.

Your method of making a separate file for each channel would probably work, but seems a bit messy.

1 Like

So how u compose the text rhen?

Here’s what I used for the PreenFM2 (truncated). I set up the Preen to listen to channels 1-4 for instruments 1-4 respectively, and hooked them up to the MIDI B out. This is all saved in Preen.txt

NAME:PREENFM2
OUT:B
CHANNEL:1
O:BANK
1:MODWHEEL
16:ALGORITHM
17:IM1
18:IM2
19:IM3
20:IM4
21:IM5

CHANNEL:2

CHANNEL:3

CHANNEL:4

1 Like

ahhh ok! just with a space in between the texts.
OK this may occupy the sixteen slots.
ok , I may try soon and feedback . thanks , cheers!

Nice. Didn’t know about this. Excellent if it works!

1 Like

This works, but it’s basically the same as creating a separate text file for all channels, as a four part multi timbral synth will still take up four of the slots in the instrument definitions, so if you like me have a lot of multi timbral synths, you won’t be able to fit them all on (or rather, they won’t show up). :frowning: I wonder why there’s a limit of 16 though.

16 does seem kind of arbitrarily limiting. :confused: Not sure why…

One way to boost your number of defined channels is to set channel = 0 on a few definitions. If you have a multitimbral synth that spans a lot of channels channels with the same CC definitions on each one, just use one definition statement to cover all of them. It’s like a “wildcard”, and you can do it on each output (A, B, USB). All channels on the output that don’t have a specific definition block will use the output = 0 definition.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s true. That’s one way around it, I guess. :slight_smile: I’ve been thinking about just printing a little booklet with the CC numbers of my synths and keeping it close to Pyramid, hehehe.

I just mapped the Korg RADIAS and because it is my only sound module on MIDI B, just correlated the first four MIDI channels to the four timbres in the synth, and did this all in a single definition file with space between each “section”. It worked. Also, I didn’t list the CC numbers in ascending numeric order, instead using the same order the manual does (group according to “function”). The Pyramid successfully parsed that out and, logically, listed them in order anyway.

Best! Scott Rader

Hi @TheMentat, what does the “O” in “O:BANK” mean in this definition file?

PS. Thanks for the tips, this helped me tremendously. Didn’t know I could do a single TXT file, super simple.

It probably should be “0” (zero), not “O”, for CC 0.