Issue with Step Sequencing

Hello, this is my first time posting on the forum. I am using both Pyramid and Hermod and loving both! My issue is with hermod when recording a manual step sequence. I saw Loopop do it in his Pyramid vs. Hermod video. When I play back the sequence, the pitch is so much lower that it is inaudible. This does not happen when recording live. Any ideas or what is wrong?

1 Like

hi,
Are you sequencing midi or cv ? Are you using an additional effect like “scale” ? It could be the “root note” set too low in the “midi effect”…

Thanks for the response,
I am using both midi and CV to input the note (Pittsburgh KB-1, SL88) with no effects present other than midi of course.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this too.

Lots of pitch oddities at the moment. C5 sounds more like C3, and CV vs Midi seem to be different.
Recording external CV plays back an octave lower.
I’m not sure what it is, but something seems to be out of sync in terms of pitches.

I work around this by transposing the recorded material, or if it’s vital that the recording be precise then I actually change the pitch of the source so that the end results are what I am looking for.

There is a transpose feature in the scale effect, which can make quick work of this. Also you can adjust the root note of the midi if you want to bring it down an octave, but doing this every time is strange so I don’t tend to use that feature.

Regardless, I hope the pitch/tune issue gets addressed, I find it very frustrating to have so many inconsistencies between my devices, especially with a brain/sequencer. I need C3 to be C3 and 120 bpm to be 120 bpm everywhere I go.

I believe they will address this and get it all sorted, but for now it’s workarounds.

I don’t encounter this kind of issue with my modules… could it be an issue related to the tuning range of the oscillator? What’s weird is that, in your case, when you play live the tuning is correct, then the playback is wrong :thinking: if it’s not a problem related to the “root note”, I have no idea yet :frowning:

Nb: This is something for the “wishlist of features that could happen but won’t” :wink: : a “close-circuit” tuner, a simple thing like on an O_C or Disting, FH1 etc…

I think the hermod send -3v for a C2 so tune according to this and it’ll be alright

Sure, it’s all possible to accomplish, but all things are relative.

Between the two standards of middle C and all the Eurorack fun it would be really, really nice if there were some global setting to make a choice about how one might want the tuning standard to be established within Hermod.
Be that for compatibility with other devices, or just out of someone’s preference.

I tend to tune things down an octave or two, so naturally I’d love to globally set it to C2 and avoid doing a lot of pitching up and down all the time for each new part or project.

The same is also true for measures and the grid.
I LOVE the ability to have a grid I can zoom in to, it gets confusing and the numbers, while indeed accurate, don’t always relate to other devices. So a 4x16 may not always be 4 bars of 16 beats. Doing math while preparing a sequence often will actually discourage me from even starting to make music. So simple at the start is what’s best for me. Thus, global settings for this would be great.

I do not protest the flexibility, but I do begrudge the lack of a 4/4 16 beat grid standard, in which C3 can easily be set to the same octave on all of my modules, synths, and other sequencers. But I do find myself changing the midi root from 60 to 48 more often than I’d like to.

And it isn’t easy to record a 303 pattern and then simply transpose it. It’s a mess as soon as you start editing it. Quantize helps, but the whole thing must be pitch shifted because there’s a difference between the voltage of middle C on the 303 and what gets recorded in the Hermod (2+ octaves down.) This can be corrected using an effect, and with scale the transpose can go up to where it’s needed, but that’s not ideal. It would be ideal to synch the voltages between the 303 and Hermod to have a more of a what you play in is what comes out the other end experience. Good for live looping and lots of other things.

It seems that with the wonderful flexibility, some of the simplicity of standards may have been either made more complicated, or perhaps simply not illustrated well. Lots of people seem to be struggling with tuning and timing.
While I am not, I would really like to see better controls for global tune preferences, and timing in terms of bars and beats.

1 Like