Idea for future update - (device) names for outputs

I just thought of this: How about having the possibility to name each and every input/output in the Pyramid setup for the device connected to it?

Say you have a bunch of instruments connected to the Pyramid outputs, like Megasynth X connected to Port A on channel 1, Polysynth Y to Port A on channel 5, Bassynth Z to Port B on channel 2 and Drum Machine 777 to Port B on channel 10.

If the names (or abbreviations) of those instruments were displayed on the Pyramid instead of the Port/MIDI channel whenever those ports and channels were selected it would be easy to know which instrument you had on a specific track. Instead of Pyramid displaying ‘Port A, CH 1’, it would then display ‘Megasynth X’ whenever that port/midi channel combination was selected.

The device names could be entered in the Setup menu and should preferably be stored with the Projects.

I hope this makes sense. What do you think?

1 Like

Yep, it’s called instrument definitions, which should also include names for CC assignments… already been requested by several people… I wouldn’t hold my breath.

1 Like

interesting side note: the Midi Association have now adopted MIDI-CI (capability inquiry) , which aims to solve this in a more general way :slight_smile:

https://www.midi.org/articles/midi-manufacturers-association-mma-adopts-midi-capability-inquiry-midi-ci-specification

of course, will require manufactures to start implementing, and we wont see on old devices, but good to see it being tackled.

3 Likes

wow, better late than never eh?

Also if you don’t mind having a default track layout, you could name the tracks with the synth names.

1 Like

This is actually a major step forward… this can enable DAWs and hardware step sequencers to behave like the Elektron boxes for per-step automation of MIDI CCs: if the sequencer knows what the preset values for the synth’s parameters are, it can do the same as the Elektron sequencer: change the value for a chosen step and then jump back to the preset value instead of staying at the new value…

1 Like

older thread:

also had a similar thread on the old forum.

1 Like