Hermod: MIDI out not sending midi data

This is pretty basic, but I’m stumped and can’t figure it out.

Trying to record a chord from a controller and play it back on Hermod via the midi out port.

1. Connect midi keyboard
  2. Test up a 4 voice polyphonic track
  • Midi Active Track Channel - 1
  • Track Channel - 2
  • Device Channel - 2
  1. Play and record the chord

2. Even establishing a 1 Voice mono track and playing a chord into it records correctly, and reports from CV/Gate output 1

This all seems to be working fine.

However nothing seems to be coming out of the midi out port on Hermod.
I see the notes I’ve recorded, the CV and Gate jacks are working as expected (sending the 4 notes across 4 outputs with the appropriate gates/CV/Gate 1 respectively)
But no midi data.

Just to test the cable, etc I used the same cable, and the same device (1010’s Bitbox) and recorded a little sequence directly from the Keystep and it’s all working and playing back just fine. So the problem is certainly with Hermod.

I’ve looked at Thru and turned it on and off to see if that might make a difference, and it doesn’t seem to have any impact.

Has anyone else succeeded in doing this?
I’d love a look at all your settings, I’m not able to get it to work.

Maybe you already know that, but you don’t have to use 4 tracks if you only want to send it to Midi. A 1 voice mono track is enough to record and playback chords. Maybe I misread but do you add the “Midi output” on the effect rack ?

Yes, but the results are the same.
I’m just not getting any midi out at all.

Are you?

Yes, on outputs Din or USB host, everything’s fine. I haven’t tested the USB device yet
Edit: My settings are really simple
Starting with a note track, I add a “midi output effect” to the rack, I set the output channel to the channel of my OP1 and record.

Have you tested each possible midi output ? Din , USB host and usb device ? If you connect Hermod directly to a computer and check with Midi Monitor ?

The only issue I notice on my side is that some Midi notes get stuck, but that’s another problem, mentioned in another thread.

1 Like

Well, it really is the simple things isn’t it?

Just to be a bit self effacing here, I was actually up until nearly 4am attempting in every way I could imagine to get Hermod to play a chord out of the 1010 Music Bit Box sampler.
Of course I tried everything BUT setting up a midi out effect on the track.

Hahahaha…

It’s here playing away, just fine.

For those who are slow like me:

Here’s how you play midi with Hermod:

1. Set a track up to be 1 Voice
  2. Add a MIDI out effect to this track and set the midi channel
  3. Look at your midi inputs to be sure you have the desired active track, and that the midi channel is set correctly for the track you wish to play and record.

NOTE: you can observe the step mode and see for yourself if the notes are being registered in Hermod
They will change as you play.

1. Record live, or step in your chords.

NOTES:
You don’t need to use up valuable tracks for midi polyphony. A 1 Voice track will work just fine.
However, if you would also like to send those notes to CV destinations then it will also work to create a polyphonic track and then connect your CV outs to wherever you wish.

It works great!

2 Likes

@Sunshine dragging this back up as I came across your post, am I going mad or is it not possible to use the hermods midi effects for example “Arp” over Midi out? I have it connected to my synth and try doing some arpeggios and ditto. Did you ever experience anything like this? midi notes come out just none of the 8fx work

is your midi out fx the last in the chain? the arp must be before the midi out

and specifically, last in the chain means the bottom left corner. But yes, I do hermod’s arp to midi output all the time!

hey yep it works thank you! a bit off topic I wonder if it’s possible to assign a multiple tracks to one set of CV and gate outs, not as a poly synth or unison. I have 2 voices in my rig and currently only utilise 2 voices on hermod which is a big waste of the all the other cv and gate outs. I wondered if you could assign t1,2,3 etc to just voice 1 and then the others to voice 2 then just have a different sequence on each track and then mute unmute them

Internally this is not possible, HOWEVER, you can achieve this through midi self-patching. Just patch a midi cable from the midi in to midi out ports (possibly would work with the usb ports too, haven’t tried it though). Then on track 3-8 you have to add a midi output effect so that it sends the midi notes out, which then go back in to the midi in port and enter tracks 1 or 2. You have to be careful not to create infinite midi loops (easy to do if track 1 or 2 is also outputting to the midi out port), or hermod will lock up.

I was doing this in the past (when using hermod only for midi to my ipad, not cv/gate) in order to create a master fx channel. Basically the idea was to route channels 1-7 into channel 8, so that the fx on channel 8 applied to all the midi notes from channels 1-7.

What a hack! Just tried this now and it works perfectly especially in my case as I can have more sequences within one sequence so less need to change projects when playing live! Thanks a lot. For some reason switching projects on my hermod causes a split second silence so for live use this isn’t ideal but now I have kind of have a workaround :slight_smile:

Nice! Ya I personally really like midi loopers that allow this. It lets you get a few related ideas down quickly, without needing to change the Sequence in Seq mode (seq mode to me is more about higher level song sections, so its nice to just have a few variations of a melody all contained in one section of a song). Having a pool of phrases to enable/disable/combine just feels more flexible to me.

And ya, agreed, the project switching delay is too bad. Hopefully squarp changes that someday, if its possible to do so.

So I’m 3 years late in responding! Hey just wanted to thank you for this post. I was having trouble passing the midi out to my Mother 32. Your tip worked like a charm. Many Thx.

1 Like