Help needed to setup Prophet 6 as main keyboard

Roland retired Edirol in about 2010 and the PCR’s along with it. I bought a Novation controller in the same week I bought my PCR-300 way back in 2003. The ReMote25 is still going strong.

I stand corrected on the NRPN support.

Do a search on “Edirol PCR not working” and you will find the dead key issue is the most common to the point of there being PCR key repair videos on YouTube.

The actual Roland branded controller keyboard range has been the “A” range for a long time, but I’ve never used one and won’t ever buy one as I’m not convinced that they are any different to the Edirols products.

One of these days I’ll try out a CME controller, they have a reputation as great long lasting controllers with very nice action. Novation’s controllers are good but I’d like a little bit less synth action in the keys and more of a piano action.

So as for the original topic, I’ve got my P6 working great as a midi keyboard controlling my other synths (preenfm2 and waldorf blofeld), but I do find it awfully frustrating to lose the use of the modwheel when the midi is filtered through my iCA4+.

I wish DSI would simply implement a local keyboard off, so that I could utilize the modwheel and all those beautiful knobs to control other synths and fx. It’s really good fun to map all those knobs to my blofeld record cc automation of wavetable sweeps, filters, etc manually. Until DSI gets it together, I guess it’s either make do or get another midi controller :frowning:

stupid question…when does it start to freeze up or not play.?
my experince with hardware sequencers is i use up it’s memory via midi info so fast…cc7 cc1,pitch…simultaneously nvm cc78 …for me that shit clogged 16 gig compy…i can reimagine the nightmare …not again i’m just new…dear godz.im scared now

I’m running into the same dilemma now that I want to use my Prophet 6 as a controller.

Is the workaround involving the iCA4+ also achievable with the MIO2? I’m not sure if I need all of the extra features that the iCA4+ offers, but I would like to achieve a solution that doesn’t require a computer to be in the chain.

Also, if the Pyramid supported NRPN, would everything work as it should? Is future NRPN support even possible?

I believe when it comes to MIDI routing both mio and ICA+ products provide the same MIDI routing capabilities. The main difference is the mio series doesn’t include an audio interface and thus cannot route audio like found in the ICA+ series.

MIDI routing is configurable via their control software; iConfig and Auracle. iConfig provides more granular options vs the less-complicated Auracle app, but Auracle is ideal for those who need just basic MIDI routing connectivity without the hair yanking experience.

@Boris (or anyone that was able to get it to work) How did you end up getting it to work?

I now have an MIO2, but I cannot configure a successful loop. It seems that I have to do some “virtual” routing/filtering to properly filter redundant messages, or to not have the Prophet playing while controlling other devices on other channels.

This is how I currently have it set up (currently only using DIN connections as USB makes the Prophet noisy):

prophet%20loop%202

I don’t think that I have the internal routing set up properly: I cannot yet get the Prophet to respond to knob adjustments or program changes…

Any help is appreciated!

ok I re-read joosep’s post with the iConfig screenshots a few more times and finally got it to work!

1 Like

Sorry for the late answer.
I was thinking that it was working, but I still got some strange bugs from my P6 in this configuration, and at some time I just gave up.
I am now using some workarounds, although this is not satisfying (like setting the track channel to a different channel when I play on the P6, and setting the real channel when the Pyramid is playing).
Since it seems that nothing new will come from Sequential, I was hoping that a “Midi echo per track” would come from Squarp, but I don’t know…
May be the best would be sell the P6 and replace it with a P6 module.
I just have the feeling that P6 and Pyramid don’t fit well together, because of P6’s poor midi implementation and Pyramid’s limited midi echo option.
I am afraid that I can’t help.

Thanks, Boris. Out of curiosity, what sort of bugs were you encountering?

I think I got it to work for the most part, but have been getting the occasional held note when the P6 is in Unison mode.

I haven’t been able to test the configuration thoroughly, as I’m always changing setups/shifting focus, but it does seem like it’s mostly working.

For instance, the P6 Tempo being changed by another pot (I don’t remember, filter freq, or something like this).

Hey fellas, I pulled the trigger on a Pyramid, have a REV2 at home, so have been pouring over this thread, wondering if this was doable with pure hardware. Looks like it is, with a MIDI Solutions Multi-Voltage Merger (or any merger):
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm (~$79 CDN)

…and more importantly, a MIDI Solutions Router (~$159 CDN)
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for sharing this info - I had the same issue with the Prophet 12 and have implemented this solution using the Blokas Midihub. All seems well so far!

Hi everyone,

Seeking advice from those who have successfully got the above to work.

I’m trying to achieve something similar - P6 local off mode to send notes to Pyramid, but control panel changes only to itself.

In Aueacle X I’ve set up what I believe is the routing as mentioned above where P6 is sent back to itself, however when I then apply MIDI filtering to the Pyramid the control panel on the P6 stops working – implying that the P6 isn’t looped to itself and is still going through the Pyramid despite being routed to Pyramid and itself.

I’ve attached screen shots for reference.

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Awesome to see this topic and how you guys helped a brother out!

getting my squarp next weekend, so will report here if I encounter any challenges :slight_smile: