Find your steps!

Again, within my proposal of a 96 sequences limit ( 6 groups of 16 sequences ) on the previous post of mine:

I still need to ask to Squarp to add the bar reference for what concern LIVE TRACK and STEP modes.

On the squares that refers to the number of track bars in play we miss certainly a number that refers in which bar we are.

We can’t just know that we are playing e.g. 38 bars if don’t know where we are after the 16th.

so basically this is the graphic now :

:black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square: |38|

but I would like to see this:

:black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square::black_medium_square: |19|:|38|

Oh ! Com’on! this is not difficult to do. Means only make those number a bit more tiny and let them fit in there. Actually there is a bit of space.
What really matters is the fact that this has to be programmed

Lets honor that :wink:
If you have any great ideas you can always contact Squarp directly.

I don’t really mind what is written there cus what I am proposing is not a “new feature” but just a completion of what is already in there. I am not asking something new.
Now, think about it, and you will give to me the reason I deserve.

They have already told me that what I have proposed has been taken in serious count. They know it is not a new feature.
not asking for example reverse note or something that you may say “is a new feature”.

do you understand?
this is something different

I think that the bar tracking is already planned
it has been taken into account by Squarp since the old forum
and I believe I saw that it already exists on the Hermod… so I guess the Pyramid will benefit soon
(indeed, it’s essential for a sequencer…)

about the 96 sequences…
I wonder how it could be possible given that each project is limited to 7000 events!
and it’s pretty low, we arrive quickly at this limit (there is already a thread on this subject)
so it seems contradictory to me to increase the number of sequences in the same project
on the other hand, a good solution would be to chain projects (therefore:several times 7000events)…
(but I see this is also a feature of the Hermod…so…I guess that Pyramid users just need a little patience :wink: )

yes I know they already planned the thing of the ‘Bar Tracking’. Just need some int more: “com’on guys!”

About the 96 sequences. It is just a matter of making it possible. Then, the 7000 event limit depends on each one of us. I could do the same question to you when regarding the huge quantity of pattern variety per track that WE ACTUALLY DON’T NEED cause actually we are not going to use even half of them. To me, the upgrade of the 32 patterns per track was actually useless from the moment I can’t use them due to the sequences limit. I mean, why just not making a step back ( back to 16 pattern per track) to give something more where is literally needed ( more sequences !!! ) ?

yeah but precisely it seems that the current architecture is : one pattern for each sequence
I saw the evolution of the PyraOS and we have 32 patterns BECAUSE we have 32 sequences (at the beginning we had only 16 sequences…)
if they extend this number (sequences) they have to distinguish this “association” in their code… because of course we can not afford to have more than 32 patterns per track with this “event limit”…it would not make sense, I don’t even know if we can have more than 16 tracks with 32 patterns each … someone in the other thread did these kind of tests, and it seems that all these numbers are more "theoretical " than reals…

it would be really penalizing for your music to have instead the possibility of chaining the projects? (and therefore a potentially unlimited number of sequences)
?:anguished:

and again … we still don’t know if they will succeed in doing it …!
in the old forum Jean had promised to take a look at this
but this memory limit should not help to load a 2nd project, waiting in RAM …

1 Like

I have read that there is some move about the Pattern’s track-chaining. I normally would understand that in terms of sequences, which in the groovebox world means actually ‘patterns’, but as in Pyramid we think in “sequences VS tracks” what would mean a pattern/track chaining?

it was the last post on the facebook page from the squarp group.
have you an idea about that?

it was the last post on the facebook page from the squarp group.
have you an idea about that?

I did not see this post on FB but what I was talking about above is rather the chaining of a whole project to a new one… (a whole “song”)
if it is doable and this is implemented with a rather transparent way, you could chain as many sequences as you like, without having the impression to have changed the project
a whole project could be just one part of a song (intro, verse, …)
but for that, it has to remain fluid and handy to perform…
I don’t know if it is doable
the main advantage of this, is that for each new project the RAM would be refreshed (since we have only 7000events per project)

7000 events per project. Never got really that. I dodn’t want to give to much attention cause I don’t like limits, and 7000 seems a big number.
PAttern chain could also implement our view.
Pattern chained inside a track; that’s what I imagine and it should work somehow but how?
then project chaining is also a thing, but I doubt it. Every time we save, the pyramid freeze for a second and the sequencers stops running, so why it should not freeze in between 2 projects? seems odd. For this I already put my heart in peace actually.
ai ai ai, this horizontality of a linear track/song. WHen sequencers makers think they can avoid it, here the crowd asking again for it.

yeah that’s the problem
I don’t know if it will be doable…

it’s nice to see that some users do not need a lot of RAM for their music style
but believe me, 7000 events is really low … I remember a few years ago the many complaints of MPC users about the limit to 100,000 events (!) … and we are still far from this number with the Pyramid…

16 tracks with 200 notes already takes the half of it…and if you use some automations above that…
especially that this limit greatly decreases if we have tracks with patterns enabled, or when we rename them etc.
in short : everything that takes RAM
so we’re on a very limited leeway here
too bad because the Pyramid is a lovely sequencer which deserve more ambition
it is a game changer on some aspects in the HW sequencers domain but on “the basics” there is still some work to do
in fact, I would like that Squarp focuses on improve the “existing” rather implement some new features
for example, you were talking about a “bar tracking” system the other day, I think this kind of basic stuff should be a high priority for a midi sequencer…

1 Like

Thank you The Loudest.
What you said to me is very appreciated. I also don’t understand how is possible that such a important easy one like the ‘bar tracking’ has been forgot it or put it a side just like, no matter to have knowledge of your tracks.
I love to have FULL control of my music. to have it in the hands. That is why I gave the elctribe 2 away. mostly cause the sequencer hides esoteric logics behind the screen.
Pyramid is great.
Pyramid I bet is the best.
But… they have to take vantage of what they have to can go above them self.
So. It is a little sequencer and very light. Two thing I thought and both of my thoughts share the same trick*:
After they finish the space in RAM they can do:

1. Working within APPlications. They can make their own ( people always spit on me for this advice ).
    sort of Ableton but specific and funny, very light, and pyramid related. Something that works good with an iPad.
    MOstly talking of new MODE that embrance all modes in a new sort of app. SEQ mode in particularly which has no ZOOM at all.
  2. A new hardware that connected via USB & MIDI , would implement the pyramid. and so, giving more power. Or maybe this hardare can contain this application already installed. Sort of computer with memory and space for apps. and that my save the events in there. …this well still very unclear thought
  • both things can be transportable if they keep the mesaures of an iPAD. it can just go behind , so under, the pyramid. in there there is some space where we can hide/cover the new potential .

hmm … precisely I have thought the Hermod could work like that…
maybe it will be the case …?..

I agree with what you said above
indeed, we might find it odd that some basic functions were set aside
but I followed this adventure since the Batch#1 of Pyramid units, and I think they wanted to implement a lot of very fun functions that allowed the sequencer to be known in a difficult market context,
and I think that’s quite understandable
besides I can seem tough with the Squarp Team in my remarks
while I adore them! Really, I think the machine they made is really great
and it is precisely because I love this machine so much that I have placed a lot of hopes in them :wink:

:smiley:

Same here. I even I bought this June, I also follow Squarp for mthe first batch.
I was speaking in the forum and in the facebook page months before some peep who then came to me even to say “you can’t say this or that”.
I studied arts practice and marketing mostly . Pff!! I know where imagination can go.
and besides that, I also find the Pyramid a really special tool. It is very important they don’t leave the concept. They can make a not only a new Pyramid but also hardware or software that goes before and in between the new Pyramid.
No Hermod can’t work properly like this. Its architecture seems an other race. Not worth it the thought on it.
In this regard I meant personally something that can extend this pyramid and that can work as a connector between this and a potential new one, extending for fact the power of this to the next in the future, while for now extending what we have.
Also … well
Pyramid is alreay good like that- if they stop tomorrow to work on it I will deal with it anyway.
Surely they paid a lot the thing of the pattern mode lacking. They paid this so much, I bet they bitted their hands when they realized. Now imagine they introduce this pattern mode in a new sequencer after some year. They also have to change their logo xD.
I personally bet on thing just to end: they really have to listen me when I say, bring the Pyramid to 96 sequences ( if you don’t want to change architecture of the SEQ mode ), or do something about the patterns. Make something to contrast the 7000 events limit ( still I don’t know what that means :smiley: ) … cause soon or later pyramid is gonna be overed by some other company. Sequencers are becoming a hip. Now there is XIRID which proposes 64 tracks as well, pattern and song mode. Of course a company make something new but also copies things from the previous, mostly trying to avoid issues that other companies encontered by their way. this is a thing we should all take in account, clients as producers.

P.S.

2 TRICKS
my MAIN trick is to work in 250 step per track.
Did you ever tried this The Loudest?

if not try within one Project!!!
it is really revolutionizing my music.
Set each track to 16 bars ( 256 ) . so , in this way the bar tracking is not necessary yet.
but also one thing . the 16 bars , a part of the fact that is effectevely enough almost for everything , ( polyrhythms for instance ) , it can give a mind set to your music. This way you will have yes just a groove box far from a DAW potential, but all under your hands. but I have an other trick I am going to publish soon. Just discovered lately talking with a friend, and because not in many will read this I tell you already.
YOu want to have more sequences for one track.
Well, after realizing is good working with 16 bars fixed for all ( so also for straight no change kick drum which you will copy 15 times).
then you can start working with other channels, so this is my MAIN trick number 2.

TRICK NUMBER 2: Different Channels splitting same Track
Give your empty channels the same track that you are using already, This will enable other patterns :smiley:
E,g, Track 1 Kick > Channel 1
Track 2 Kick > Also Channel 1

Results_ you got two different Patterns which can have actually also different time signature and lenght.

:wink: TRICK

2 Likes

yes but the Hermod seems to actually have a more powerful CPU/RAM combo
so even if the interface is different (this is normal since its use in standalone has another objective)
we could imagine it has another mode when connected to a Pyramid …?
I don’t know …
but I think I understood that this Hermod was born at the beginning in the idea of making an extension for the Pyramid
and when you see that it’s actually more powerful…

anyway
we’ll see ! :slight_smile:

about the upcoming hardware sequencer XIRID we don’t know much yet…(nor its position on the market in terms of pricing)
but it could actually move things, yes …
in any case, I hope that the Pyramid will stay in the competition, and in a good position :wink:

2 Likes

maybe they will make an announcement soon.
it as been a while that Squarp kept quite on Pyramid.
I am sure they are ready for it. The next will be a 2.4 and surely it will be just a half way for the real update on 2.5

7000 events per project. Never got really that. I dodn’t want to give to much attention cause I don’t like limits, and 7000 seems a big number.

It really is not. A one bar mod sweep can use up 150 events. Start adding CCs to tracks and it will be used up quickly.

ai ai ai, this horizontality of a linear track/song. WHen sequencers makers think they can avoid it, here the crowd asking again for it.

“The crowd” is just people wanting to add automation, or perhaps have a long track of live playing along with a pattern sequence. The Pyramid can do those things - in fact, mixing linear with pattern sequencing was an advertised feature - so not including enough memory to take full advantage is quite a shortcoming.

mmm… what you say is interesting and it enlighten me a bit more on this things of the 7000 event’s limit.
I don’t know really, but I keep working on track and for now seems I didn’t never reach the bottom… maybe just for now that I didn’t assigned any parameter to CCs yet.
:::: “The crowd” is just people wanting to add automation, or perhaps have a long track of live playing along with a pattern sequence. The Pyramid can do those things - in fact, mixing linear with pattern sequencing was an advertised feature - so not including enough memory to take full advantage is quite a shortcoming.
::::
Well, yes this in deed was exactly what brought me to buy this beauty. I have choose this especially cause could give an physical ableton, but never really thought that in the 2017 memory on hardware could keep being a thing.

( just a little speculation here) —> I always wonder why they say DAWs are more powerfull cause based on pc. But with what we spend for a good sequencer we can buy a PC with this enough memory for DAws to be unlimited, so I don’t understand what is the problem to put a powerfull engine like a PC if you are asking same price of PC?

by the way …
I love Pyramid in essence ( even I am not really inspired to the fast making ) and always think , well, maybe a Pyramid V2 should come one day. But maybe more, They will release a sort of hardware that’ll release memory on our sequencer and maybe more features. I imagined a sort of hard disk with features.
Also an Other thing they can do is to say: "ok guy Pyramid is done BUT “we have released an APP ( editor sort of ) to can extend your pyramid, and now you can forget ableton for the rest of your life!!”.
I don0t have an iPad but I SWEAR if they do that properly I would be ready to buy an iPad and their APP just for to fix all the issues for ever. I don’t like to use Ableton yet and neither other softwares but I am getting tempted again since I see this memory limits and pratically stupid things like, project mixing/merging/chaining and other things like a SEQ mode that is worth its sense of being professionally “linear”, or at least an amount of sequences that will let me forget the poorness of this mode that has been graphically abandoned.

still love pyramid!!

Just today thinking: “fuck I will never sell it, its so cute and can be always a project its self the Pyramid”. I wonder to buy a new sequencer when I wil find something better for the linear sequencing, but not regreting never the buy of Pyramid for this.

I really think that in some how , in some way, pressure on those topics may become a pressure for the company as well, and its not really an happy phenomenon. but important as well. We all have to learn, buyers as sellers :wink:

I guess if they think about changing their hardware they should do a survey from their user community to better define the expectations…
Personnally, I already said it on the forum, I think a larger screen (type Push2) and RGB LEDs would greatly contribute to the ergonomics and would be very beneficial for PyraOS
which could benefit from everything that has already been implemented over the proposals of the users and ideas of the Squarp team
but which could go further…
a little more “2017” as you said… (or “2018” :wink: )

I already posted this link but it seems more appropriate in this thread
https://youtu.be/J7E_z0Oh71Y
just to give an idea of the advantage of this type of OLED High Resolution color screens
the size here seems ideal
cause we don’t need a touchscreen or a bigger screen,
we don’t need a matrix of pads like that either
actually, I think all the other parts of the current version of Pyramid are fine
(except we would have more possibilities with RGB Leds… The different modes of the Pyramid are based on different colors and it’s really nice in terms of ergonomics, but it is not reflected visually on the screen or the pads)

personally, I am not interested in a hybrid solution, software + hardware(there is already the choice on the market with Akai, Ableton and Native Instrument)
but if it’s just an “addition” that suits some users, it is not a problem, of course …
The priority should remains on the hardware though
(I repeat, we have enough software publishers…)

regarding the CPU/RAM combo it’s true that there are affordable solutions nowadays that are powerful enough
I am thinking for example about devices based on a Raspberry Pi
I believe the MPC Live uses a quad-core 1.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM
but a “MIDI only” sequencer would not even need all that power…
I think there is balance to be struck :slight_smile:

1 Like