Delay effect problem

I have applied a delay effect of 3 or more repetitions but am not able to decrease the value of each repetition. I have set gain at 50% and dry/wet between 50 and 100 %. Anyway i set it the repetition sound remains the same. Am i not doing this right ?
Thanks

Iā€˜m not getting this to work eitherā€¦and the effect is still there even with the dry/wet down to zero

What works tho is gain. When lowering down to 4% and switching the delay in and out in the effects panel works like a ā€šreal delayā€˜-what doesnt work is the decreasing or increasing of level in the repeatsā€¦or the dry/wet control
Also remember this is a midi delay, the sort you get in cubasešŸ˜ƒ

Thanks for your advice. Nonetheless the Squarp manual specifies that such an effect can be obtained.

The way i make it work is to set the track to 2 voices : mono+velocity
Velocity out in a vca make the sound decrease in volume at each repetition.
Of only in one voice, at the gate out there s the same volume at each repetition

3 Likes

I was pretty sure the velocity track could fix that, but did not think of the vca. Great. Thanks !

very nice <3

can someone please Eli5 me on this? Iā€™m wracking my brain trying to get the delay to fade properly :confused: do I have to run the delay out through a vca to get it to work properly?

1 Like

This is really interestingā€¦
Iā€™m curious too.

The CV output would go where it normally goes, and then the Gate output would need to go to a VCA and then to an envelope and then back into another vca and another envelope?
Interesting little pickle. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a simpler way to make that pretty cool.

Iā€™ll try using a VCA and see what happens and report back.

I spent some time thinking about how I might patch a virtual delay, making diagrams for the VCA and other ideas, and got pretty excited about trying thisā€¦

Unfortunately it doesnā€™t seem that Iā€™ve found out if there is a way to assign the effects effectively to their own output. For example, I assumed that if I created Track one, and said it was two voices, or a one voice with modulation and then applied the DELAY effect to the second voice, or the modulation output that I would have a relationship created between the notes played on voice one/track one and then access the delay parameters for other destinations in the caseā€¦ However this didnā€™t seem to work.

I think that a serious shortcoming here is that these effects appear to primarily be ā€œmidi effectsā€ and we can assign midi controllers to address them, and this is not altogether useful for Modular. Itā€™s nice to integrate both worlds, but in day to day use, modular wants to control modular, and other pieces for not typically involved for me.

Rather than get frustrated, or write for support (a complaint disguised) I thought about what other way might be to do thisā€¦

Here is how Iā€™ve handled this:

Track One - Notes and Gates = Output
Track Two - Duplicate Notes and Gates / Delay Effect 100% WET, 2 repeats - Output

This is at least something like what I was hoping for from the ability to assign the delayā€™s outputs to a sub set of outputs.

I think using two or more voices is essential, as my modular is largely monophonic, and so delaying on the same channel will create that odd, cut off, and bungled notes effect (which I do not want) but I would like more central control.

Extra excitement comes when mixing the notes of track 1 to the Left stereo output, and the delayed notes of track 2 out the Right stereo output. Starts to get kind of cool.

But with any regularly repeating notes this doesnā€™t work well past 2 repeats, unless youā€™re into a trill effect or stumbled repeats.

I am going to continue and try this with 3 and 4 tracks and see how many repeats I can successfully get goingā€¦
I still wish that I could assign the effects outputs to sub modulation/velocity outputs. THAT would be really somethingā€¦

Is this possible and Iā€™m missing something?

Hope this helps. Iā€™ll be back later with a report on 3 and 4 tracks as well as a clip for you to see and hear.

Okā€¦

Well, my exploration of multiple VCOā€™s as a delay become academic. There really isnā€™t any point in using the delay plugin, as you can make a better delayed patch just making three or four different tracks (if you have the VCOā€™s) and get completely lost in the repeating (as I have just done for the last couple of hours) and none of this addresses the delay to CV issues.

So I followed @paxalfoxystyleā€™s method of using a VCA and itā€™s improved, but still quite limited.

Standard subtractive patch:

Track one - 2 voices CV and Velocity
CV to pitch on the VCO - to filter - to VCA 1 - to VCA 2 - to Mixer
Gate to Envelope, envelope to both filter and VCA 1

Track two (velocity) leftmost output directly into CV input of VCA 2

Apply Delay Effect to Track 1

Results:
With a single note the delay works well with 2,4,6 repeats.
VCA 2 allows for velocity contour to create the AMP for the delay.
Patching VCA 1 into VCA 2 allows me to mix the sounds together and get a healthy balance so it sounds nice.

Add a second and third note. They still sound ok at 1 and 2 repeats, but when the notes begin to overlap the monophonic glitching and cutting off begins to happen and it sounds bad.

MIX:
Really anything much below 49% and the delay effect is gone.
GAIN:
Really anything much below 80% and the delay effect is gone.
Not a lot of room to work with here.

But for a monophonic voice, the delay effect at 50% or higher, set to repeat in a way which does not collide with other notes at 80% gain or higher produces some decent results. Itā€™s a limited effect with a single VCO, but it does work with some fussing around at the VCA gain and input amounts.

Honestly I really preferred being lost in the duplicate voiced tracks simulating delay and not using the delay effect at all.

Again, I really wish these were CV based effects with CV based output and input modifiers, and not midi effects per se. This would be a lot more interesting, because the midi delay on a polyphonic midi instrument seems to work great and without much glitchingā€¦

@Sunshine
Wow! thanks for all the hard work and trying out these things. I have to see if I can reproduce your studies. Thank you!

1 Like

My pleasure! It was fun.