Copying patterns between projects

Has anyone found a good way to do this? Obviously copying the MIDI files strips any FX and length details.

I’ve resorted to writing everything down on paper to swap between projects I’ve got.

3 Likes

this would be good. importing tracks/patterns/other data from other projects. would be killer feature.

as of OS 3.0 - only way I know is to use an text editor and copy details of core.pyr from one project to another. its not user friendly, and easy to screw up.
so id not advocate unless your feeling brave, and you think its going to save you a lot of work. (which is unlikely, as most of the work is probably in the midi files which are easy to copy)

i kind of touched on core.pyr hacking here

2 Likes

I know I’m late to the game, but this is seriously, kind of a thing. The ability to load tracks, and all of the patterns contained in a track from a saved project into the one in current use is a MAJOR factor in being able to create smooth transitions from the ideas expressed in one project to another in a live performance setting. Not just the midi files, but all of it. The routings, the effects, hell even the sequences, if possible. As long as one has open sequence and track slots, why would this not be a desirable feature in what is supposed to be studio center piece??

I know it can be done by dragging and dropping the midi files from one project into another, but that’s pretty clunky in a live setting. Being able to load tracks from a submenu where the list comes up, and you decide on a target track then boom, would be an absolute godsend. And on that note, I’m going to contact Squarp directly with this suggestion.

2 Likes

it is! for people with linux background :grin:

2 Likes

Not really. Linux doesn’t allow you to handle the desired functions inside the Pyramid itself. You’re still pulling a card out of the Pyramid, stuffing it into a port somewhere, futzing around with your computer, then ejecting the card, stuffing it back into the Pyramid, and loading from there. In a live situation, this is horribly clumsy and unlikely to be workable. Linux doesn’t fix that.

1 Like

So is the only currently workable solution to get a second Pyramid, and load projects on one while playing on the other?

Haha not the first time a limitation of the Pyramid has lead me to the conclusion, “I think I could make this work if I just had a second Pyramid”.

3 Likes

Why not save the track you want to copy as a new file name and then delete the parts you don’t want?

1 Like

And then what? Say you’ve got a riff on Project A that you think would go really well with this rhythm you laid down in Project B. So you save Project A as Project C, delete everything except that riff, and then…? It’s still no closer to being in Project B where you want it.

1 Like

And therein lies the rub.

1 Like

I think, in order to make Pyramid a effective tool, this feature is needed. As a software developer, I guess this feature is easy to implement. :slight_smile:

as a software developer you should know that to predict what is ‘easy’ without knowing the code base is not really possible, and relies on way to many unknowns/assumptions.

(e.g. sure it might be easy to copy one pattern via memory (even that is not a given), but to copy multiple patterns would require parsing the project file but without loading into memory… that code is very likely code that does not exist in a usable form)

3 Likes

Now, I feel like a product owner. :wink: Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights.

3 Likes

The need for this feature and the 32 sequence limit are, in my opinion, the two issues that prevent the Pyramid from being an end-all MIDI sequencing powerhouse. It’s still an incredible device that is capable of things no other hardware sequencer can do, but these two issues force me to slam the brakes on a creative musical flow to instead focus on delicate, complex technical workarounds that risk mangling my project completely. And the stress alone is a real creativity ruiner.

2 Likes

Just imagine how many MIDI files you can save on a small SD card … and, for example, you have a lot of rhythm patterns that You created and collected over the past 30 years. All between 4 and 64 measures so that you can quickly place a rhythm track in your DAW as required … and wouldn’t it be great if those files could also be quickly placed in a Pyramid track? The import routines for MIDI already exist. Now just a small routine to make a selection from a folder-structured MIDI pattern library, and make a copy in the desired Pyramid pattern … That would already be a big step in evolution of this great tool.

4 Likes

The thing is that it’s not just copying patterns, it’s copying the whole tracks that the patterns live in. However, I still don’t see what the issue might be. It’s not like there should be any sort of compatibility issues. But I’m not the developers, and it’s easy for me to say these things without understanding what coding such functions entails.

Hey, I just wanted to bump this topic,

Does anyone find a way of copying pattern/tracks into a new project (ie, merging several “songs projects” to a “live performance project” where you could play your song one after the other) ;

Currently I find myself using ableton to do this, by importing midi from the pyramid to ableton, then I think and arrange those into ableton, line by line ;
Then I open a new (pyra) project and record the midi from ableton, piece by piece, into the pyramid ; tedious process but at least it makes sens to me ;

I don’t think their is an easy way of doing it but would be happy to hear how other live performers do this merging process ;

I wish…